Santiago Peak -- From Riverside County?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Santiago Peak -- From Riverside County?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Santiago Peak. Anybody done it from the Riverside County side? Sally? Ellen? Anybody?

I see a Coldwater Trail (6W01) marked the topo map, but I can't figure out where the trail head is.

I've sketched in some guesses here:
http://caltopo.com/m/NKM3

Info appreciated.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Santiago Peak -- From Riverside County?

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:46 am

The Coldwater Trail was an excellent trail, much better than the Holy Jim Trail, with its #%@! access road. And now there is a #%@! wall of brush on both sides of the trail, plus the #%@! bicycles. The Coldwater Trail was closed years ago. The reason was said to be objections by the Glen Ivy Hot Springs resort; the trail crossed its property, or the parking area was on its property. Something like that. Perhaps Glen Ivy's objections had something to do with trashy people doing trashy things there. It was not a problem when I hiked the trail; despite the fact that it was a beautiful winter weekend day, there were no other people at the trailhead or on the trail, and no trash.

Evidently the USNFS folded, despite the fact that the trail had been used by the public for many years, which does confer some legal right to continue use. I am sure the Forest Service could have worked something out with Glen Ivy, with some combination of carrots and sticks. But they did not. What a shame, shifted all the traffic to the Holy Jim Trail.

Since the trail has not been maintained for many years, I assume much of it is overgrown with brush, but much of it is probably useable. I would be very interested in knowing its current condition. I hiked the Holy Jim Trail in 2010, one of my first hikes in my renewed hiking career, and swore I would never do it again. I have very good memories of the Coldwater Trail.

I think your research on access is better than my memory. I vaguely remember a short spur of paved road to the east of the resort, with limited parking. I think we could see some of the resort buildings from the parking area, and they were not far away. Your map shows much more around there than I remember.
Ed

Postby Viper » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

You could always do the Indian Truck Trail route. Not so much of a trail as it is a fire road, but it's scenic nonetheless (and a challenging hike, depending on where you leave your car).
Viper

Postby brettiquette » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Pretty sure mountain bikers are keeping the trail clear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHc5aYOxlo
brettiquette

Postby Ed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:32 am

brettiquette wrote:Pretty sure mountain bikers are keeping the trail clear...

Looks like it. Imagine hiking up the trail with your dog or child, turning a corner, and meeting that guy careening down the trail. I think I've read that on some Utah trails they have separate days for different kinds of traffic.

While the parts of the trail shown look good, the brush has clearly grown up on the sides of the trail, reducing the views. And also your ability to see and dodge bicyclists.
Ed

Postby munmile » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Mountain bikers need to voluntarily use cow bells to warn other trail users of their approach on level and downhill sections. Bikes are just too fast and silent.
I make it a personal point to praise bikers using bells when I encounter them.

Discounting the very real chance of injury or death resulting from such a collision, the jolt of terror one experiences in a surprise downhill biker/hiker encounter destroys
not only the hiker's enjoyment of the wilderness but has one questioning faith in humanity. Rrrrrr.

munmile
munmile

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics