Dobbs Ridge to Jepson

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Dobbs Ridge to Jepson

Postby Ellen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Howdy All :)

Sally, Marilyn and I headed out yesterday in search of snow. When Marilyn picked me up on the way to meet Sally, she didn't recognize me because I was wearing long pants :lol: Due to the shorter days and anticipating we'd be slower due to snow and constant clothing adjustments, our plan was to summit Jepson via the Dobbs ridge and return the same way. We carried microspikes but didn't need them.

Took Vivian trail up to the creek crossing and started the XC route to gain the ridge. I found an old piece of pink tape :roll: We took a fairly direct route up and achieved the ridge with minimal hassle. Just as we gained the backbone of the Dobbs ridge, two young deer bolted before Sally could take a picture. We started encountering patches of snow and noticed numerous animal tracks -- deer, rabbit and bobcat. Then Marilyn pointed out bear prints. I asked Sally to take a photo -- it was the biggest and most distinct bear print I've ever seen. And then we saw cub prints and started talking louder as we continued to ascend :lol:

We refer to the final climb up to west Dobbs as "the wall." It lived up to its name. Sally and I couldn't keep up with Miracle Marilyn. who pretended she was out of breath when we stopped and waited for us :wink: We stopped to eat at west Dobbs and observed the "snow waves" made by the high winds. Continued on towards Jepson. There was just enough snow to slow us down and not enough to snowshoe. Made the final climb up the Jepson and looked at the north side of San Gorgonio.

View of my sister San Jacinto from our lunch spot.

The north side of San Gorgonio.

It was very clear and sadly, we could see evidence of the fire near Dry Lake.

We made our way carefully down the wall -- between the loose terrain and snow, we didn't want to fall. Something poked me through my left pants and ripped open a quarter sized hole on my left calf -- Ellen sighting confirmed, as HJ would say. Used snow to clean up and apply and Band-Aid before continuing down.

Our descent was uneventful until we starting dropping down off the ridge back to Vivian creek. We found ourselves nearly sliding down a menacing loose and very steep slope littered with deadfall :? Well, that didn't work, so we had no choice but to climb back up -- hoping we wouldn't have to go all the way back up to the ridge backbone. Sally consulted her GPS, which didn't help because we weren't that far off our track. My quads were screaming going uphill, quivering going downhill and I was tired and cranky :x Once we climbed up to more stable ground, we started traversing to our right -- seeking as much open area as we could find. The terrain started looking more familiar, though we still had to scramble over deadfall and crawl under brush and oak trees. Finally we saw a distinct use trail and cairns and knew we were heading the right way. It was relief to cross Vivian creek and be back on the trail. Even that dreadful steep descent to Mill Creek was a breeze compared to getting off the darn Dobbs ridge :lol:

We reached the Falls picnic parking area (trailhead parking is closed) just as it was getting dark enough to need our headlamps. Enjoyed great food at El Mexicano before heading home.

Notes regarding ascending and descending the Dobbs ridge -- there's no "one" use trail or route from Vivian creek up to the Dobbs ridge backbone, due to constant changes in deadfall and brush. I've never gone up and down the same way twice. in retrospect, we should have continued down the ridge further before dropping over the side. Our descent was as difficult as the ascent was easy.

On Facebook, Hikin' Jim referred to the Dobbs ridge as the "Ellen Expressway" and "Sally Superhighway." I think it should be called the "Marilyn Motorway" since she motored by us on the way up 8) Thanks to Sally and Marilyn for a great day and for putting up with me when I was cranky.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Dobbs Ridge to Jepson

Postby Sally » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am

Yep, this hike was a doozy! We came so close to nailing the route this time! Well, it seems that every time we do this hike there is a hitch, but the hitch help makes it more memorable and epic.

Here are more pics, including scary bear tracks and proof that the "Bloody Blonde" was in attendance.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink
Sally

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics