Hiking with Dogs: Blue Mountain, November 8 2015

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:33 pm

I wasn't able to head out for a 'real' hike the last two weekends, but was able to get away for an hour or two.

Do you guys have a local hill or mountain that you use for training or for when you can't get away for the day?

Blue Mountain || Distance: ~3.16 mi || Duration: 1hr 25m || Gain/Loss: ±1,258′ || Net Elevation Gain (at Max Elevation): +982′ || Max Elevation: 2,406′ || Difficulty: Easy, but steep

Riley is excited to get out for a while. San Bernardino Peak is the high point in the distance.

San Gabriel Mountains Behind Us

Wild burrows (sorry for the weird lens flare)

Nearing the summit

63ChevyII

Re: Hiking with Dogs: Blue Mountain, November 8 2015

Postby Wildhorse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

My daily hikes at Cowles Mtn in San Diego have become my favorite hikes.

My belief is that we ultimately live life more fully by getting to know local land intimately than by exploring land far away. Adventure tourism diminishes our lives even while the common belief is that it enriches our lives.

The question is, what is local. It has no fixed boundaries. Local for me has come to include the Mountains and deserts of Southern California, but most local is Cowles. I will be there before the sun sets.
Wildhorse

Re: Hiking with Dogs: Blue Mountain, November 8 2015

Postby drndr » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Ahhh. Blue Mountain.. I used to do that as a kid. Straight up the face starting at the top of Main St. Stop by Teepee rock and the "M" cave as we went. Of course that was when Grand Terrace and Highgrove was almost all orange groves.

Now I train south a bit. Sugarloaf and the "C" above UCR.

Dan
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics