Allison Falls, San Gorgonio Wilderness

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Allison Falls, San Gorgonio Wilderness

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Been super busy lately, but I finally got a chance to do a serious hike in the San Gorgonio Wilderness yesterday: Allison Falls.

It's a neat spot about a mile and a half up the E Fork of Falls Creek from Dobbs Camp. Note: there is no trail of any kind and any means of getting there is going to entail a lot of loose, steep terrain, brush, and even some rock scrambling depending on your exact route.

I'm spending most of my time these days studying in hopes of having more stable employment and of not having to take drudge jobs. My current contract ends around the end of 2015, so I'm trying to figure out what do next year -- and for the next twenty. Darned IT field is so enormous these days, it's hard to know which way to turn. Wish me luck,

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Allison Falls, San Gorgonio Wilderness

Postby Ulysses » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Good luck Jim. And thanks for the post.
Ulysses

Postby Wildhorse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:04 am

It sounds like wilderness, the real thing. No trail. No people. Some danger for those who find it.

Much of what is labeled wilderness on maps is not really that. The state park is a frightening example.

Skyline appears to have become an adventure tourism destination.

Still, in our deserts and mountains wilderness can be found by those who understand what it is.
Wildhorse

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Ulysses wrote:Good luck Jim. And thanks for the post.
Thank you, and you're welcome.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Wildhorse wrote:It sounds like wilderness, the real thing. No trail. No people. Some danger for those who find it.

Yeah, a little danger. I thought twice about it before scrambling down the banks to the top of the falls. There was quite a bit of ice. I only went so far.

It's a long way down if you miss a step.

Wildhorse wrote:Much of what is labeled wilderness on maps is not really that. The state park is a frightening example.

I agree, although I find the summit "plateau" of the San Jacintos to still be a worthwhile destination. On a recent trip to the Marion Mountain area, I tried to put in a new route down Stone Canyon (see olive green line). Um, no. :shock: Heavy brush, and massive boulders with a lot of big gaps in them. Very difficult to negotiate safely. It would have been, um, "bad" if something had gone wrong on that route. All that to say, that there are pockets of real wilderness even in the state park.

Wildhorse wrote:Skyline appears to have become an adventure tourism destination.

Pretty much.

Wildhorse wrote:Still, in our deserts and mountains wilderness can be found by those who understand what it is.
Indeed. Sometimes right under our noses. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Wildhorse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Yes, you are right, one can find pockets of wilderness in the state park, and the summit plateau is one of them. Before the fire, many others could be found in the national forest too. Some still exist, of course, but the fire burned the parts that I enjoyed the most.
Wildhorse

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:39 am

Yeah, supposedly the PCT from Red Tahquitz down to Antsell Rock/Apple Saddle got really hard hit by rains after the fire. Word is that it'll be years before it's restored. :(

I had a lot of fun on my Desert Divide PCT section hike.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Wildhorse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:18 pm

You did that pct section the right way, enjoying the peaks along the way.

I also miss the parts of Tahquitz Valley and Willow Creek drainage that burned. They too held many wilderness treasures.

I have heard that work is underway on the pct, but that no money has yet been budgeted for Carumba or Willow Creek trails, and that the burned areas they pass through may remain closed until those trails are rebuilt. And, what else may burn before that happens?

Have you heard anything?
Wildhorse

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Nice photos HJ. Some of the people in my C2C hike have been asking about waterfall hikes. Was going to message you to see if you had any suggestions. Cedar and 3 Sister Falls are dry.

Good luck with the job hunt!
63ChevyII

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics