GEIGERRIG

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

GEIGERRIG

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:44 pm

I recently stopped using hydration reservoirs on a regular basis due to the difficulty in cleaning them. Unfortunately, I found that when I did not use a reservoir, I was drinking less water. I also found it annoying to carry several bottles when I needed to carry a large amount of water. With some recent battles with cramping, I decided that I should find a reversible hydration reservoir, which I believed, would make cleaning, drying and staying hydrated much easier. In my search to find one, I ran across a company that I had never heard of: GEIGERRIG.

Here are some photos of their gear, as well as a link to my full review:
Gear Review: Geigerrig Hydration Pack Engine (reservoir), RIG 710 Backpack, Virus Filter, and Nano Tube

63ChevyII

Re: GEIGERRIG

Postby neverwashasbeen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:22 pm

I have friends that really like the Geigerrig, I believe that the reservoir is made by Hydrapak. I have the Hydrapak and it is very easy to clean.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby sdpacatc » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 am

Great review. Interestingly enough reading this article just reminded me that I need to go clean my bladder from Sundays hike before all that crap starts to grow in it. You have my curiosity peaked. That's my only problem with using the traditional bladders, I get back from a trip, dump everything in the garage and then it might be a couple of days before I get to clean and organize everything. This has come back to haunt me with the dreaded bladder black plague. I've spent many an hour scrubbing my bladders trying to get rid of that stuff.

Thanks for the info.
Brad
sdpacatc

Postby zippetydude » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:44 pm

There's a pretty easy solution to the whole cleaning problem: When you get home, just dump the extra water out (don't forget to drain the tube and bite bit) and then just toss the bladder in the freezer. I have found this works indefinitely with no mold or mildew. When you take it back out and fill it with water it softens up immediately and melts any little bit of water that remained in the bladder! Incidentally, this was not my idea, a friend shared it with me, so I can't take credit for it. It is clever though.

That being said, this GEIGERRIG thingy looks pretty cool.

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Interesting post, and thank you. I stopped using my camelbak, partly because of the endless washing issue, but also because I became uneasy with the possible health effects of drinking (so much) water that had been sitting for hours in warm soft plastic bags. I'm pretty sure that to make the bladders soft and flexible yet strong enough not to break, they have to use phthalates (sp?) or some near equivalent, and inevitably the substances must leach into the water. So now I mostly use Kleen Kanteens, which are worry free, but unfortunately very heavy. Wish there was a good solution.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby phydeux » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Oops! I mistakenly posted something, so deleted it.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics