Hiking or Snowshoeing, Nov 27-29

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 pm

I am looking for some suggestions for hiking or snowshoeing, anywhere from the Lone Pine Area up to Tioga Pass.

Here's a link to some of the hikes I did last winter, to give you an idea of what I've done:
http://www.hikinggeek.com/tag/shoeshoeing/

We are experienced with winter hiking and snowshoeing and have our own winter gear, including snowshoes, crampons, ice axes, etc.

Thanks!
63ChevyII

Re: Hiking or Snowshoeing, Nov 27-29

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 pm

I've posted my tentative itinerary here and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, particularly regarding what we should do Friday afternoon and Sunday morning: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/11/24/tr ... er-hiking/

Friday: I'm leaving the Riverside area around 11 AM and I'd like to find a short hike between home and Mammoth that would have a nice vantage point for sunset (4:30). Riverside is about 3 hrs from Lone Pine, 4 hours from Bishop, 5 hrs from Mammoth. Any suggestions?

Sunday: I'm hoping to get out with snowshoes for 3-5 hours. We could go somewhere in Mammoth or anywhere south along the 395. It would be nice to find something with a nice view for sunrise.If I stay in Mammoth, ideally I'd head out early, then be able to get back to the hotel by 9 AM to pack up and checkout. It may be possible to pack up, check out, then hike, but I'd need to convince the rest of the group to join me in that case. We do have some time restrictions we'd like to be in Lone Pine by 1 PM at the latest. Any suggestions?
63ChevyII

Postby Ed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm

On a windy day, it can be very tough on the Minaret Summit-San Joaquin route, as I am sure you know. I was not aware that the road up to Lake Mary was plowed in the winter. We always skied / snowshoed from the Tamarack Lodge parking area at Twin Lakes.

Are the dogs going?
Ed

Postby 63ChevyII » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Ed wrote:On a windy day, it can be very tough on the Minaret Summit-San Joaquin route, as I am sure you know. I was not aware that the road up to Lake Mary was plowed in the winter. We always skied / snowshoed from the Tamarack Lodge parking area at Twin Lakes.

Are the dogs going?

Thanks for the help Ed.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too windy, but we shall see. I've been watching the forecast closely. If it is windy, is there another route that you would recommend?

You are correct - the road is not plowed beyond Tamarack Lodge. I had previously been told we could drive to Lake Mary, but now I see that we would need to snowshoe in. Do you know if there is a fee to park at the closure area? It seems that snowshoers need a pass from the Tamarack Lodge to get access to the backcountry via Lakes Basin. Is this the case? I see that Lake Mary Road is public access on the un-groomed section. http://www.tamaracklodge.com/xc-ski-center

No dogs this trip. Too cold for them unfortunately. Riley does love the snow though - http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/01/21/al ... n-17-2015/
63ChevyII

Postby Ed » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 am

Chevy,

I don't have any up to date information. In fact, my information is ancient. I can understand a ski touring area charging a fee for using their trails, but I would be amazed and angered if they could charge you a fee for snowshoeing up the road to the lakes basin, around the lakes basin, and up to Mammoth Pass. Which would be a fairly long day tour. It is national forest, not their property, but who knows what their arrangements are with the national forest. I don't know who owns the parking around Tamarack Lodge, I assume it is still used by day visitors who aren't guests at the lodge without paying a fee, but perhaps not. Certainly that area is much better protected from the wind than Minaret Summit, which would be ideal on a day with little or no wind. Rock Creek is another possibility, the road used to plowed up to a parking area a few miles short of Rock Creek Lodge, which is a ski touring center, and I assume that is still the case. Also relatively well protected from the wind.

I assume the USNFS Visitor's Center at Mammoth could answer the questions I cannot.

Have a great time, and let us know how it went!
Ed

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:22 am

This is what I know so far:

Twins Lakes Parking - no charge, no time restrictions (parking not shut down for the night).
The road to Lake Mary Road to Horsehoe Lake is public use. You can snowshoe/ski to other areas, but cannot be on the groomed trails unless you pay. I am not looking into the possibility of snowshoeing to Crystal Lake.

LLV - you need a SNO-Park pass to park there. I will call the ranger station later today to see if there's enough snow for snowshoeing.
63ChevyII

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics