What's your favorite time to hike and take photos?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby 63ChevyII » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:05 am

Looking back through the photos I’ve taken over the years, I always seem to gravitate towards those that were taken around sunrise. In particular the 2 hours that surround sunrise, approximately starting an hour before until an hour after. When people hear what time I start my hikes, I'm usually told I'm crazy and that the views can't possibly be worth the trouble.

With daylight savings time ending this week, I've been thinking about this and the fact that colder weather and needing to start even earlier to get these shots tends to decrease the number of people that are available (or crazy enough) to hike with me. I'm hoping I can trick some of my new hiking buddies to head out with me still.

Anyway, here are some of the sunrise photos I've taken on my early hikes. They never do what I saw justice, but they help me remember why I need to get out there:
My Favorite Time to Hike and Take Photos (gallery of 40+ sunrise photos)

Here are some highlights:

When's your favorite time to hit the trail?
63ChevyII

Re: What's your favorite time to hike and take photos?

Postby zippetydude » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm

I agree, morning is the best, though sunset offers some nice opportunities as well. Let's just say I'm a crepuscular photographer. Nice shots, btw.

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Number two is my favorite. Gorgeous. If only I was an early bird. :(
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby sdpacatc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:44 pm

I love hiking at all times of the day, even when its pitch black at night sometimes ( coming up skyline). Of course as a photographer you can't bet the light at sunrise and sunset. Last weekend I keep surprising myself while hiking down Fuller Ridge, looking over towards the west and watching the sunset I keep catching myself saying "WOW". If I'm going to say "WOW" I better get my camera out and take a picture. :D
http://www.ihikesandiego.com/fuller-rid ... eak-trail/
Looking out west at the setting sun on Fuller Ridge Trail
Garnet Lake at Sunrise
Garnet Lake late at night with the Milky Way behind Banner Peak.
Sunrise at Trail Camp on Mt Whitney
I'm still experimenting with different lens for my camera. But it is really peaceful to watch the sun rise as your hiking early in the morning, or enjoy a cup of coffee by your tent as you watch the sun come up.
sdpacatc

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics