San Gorgonio route

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio route

Postby backpackpack » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Hello, what is the easiest route up San Gorgonio? Or is there only one way up? I am doing preliminary consideration and planning of a trip there... I just want to see what I need to be prepared for.

Thank you
backpackpack

Re: San Gorgonio route

Postby KathyW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:06 pm

With the current fire closures, the easiest way up is via the Vivian Creek Trail. It's about 17 miles round-trip with 5700' elevation gain; so a good long day.
KathyW

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 am

There are I guess four standard routes (and some variations), from easiest to hardest:
1. Fish Creek Trailhead to Fish Creek Saddle to Mine Shaft Saddle to Sky High Trail to summit. Starts high and has the least elevation gain. CURRENTLY CLOSED.
2. South Fork Trailhead to Dollar Lake Saddle to summit. Medium (for San Gorgonio) elevation gain and slightly shorter than via Dry Lake. CURRENTLY CLOSED.
3. South Fork Trailhead to Dry Lake to Mine Shaft Saddle to summit. Medium (for San Gorgonio) elevation gain but slightly longer than via Dollar Lake Saddle. CURRENTLY CLOSED.
4. Vivian Creek Trailhead to High Creek to Summit. Most elevation gain, but most accessible trailhead. CURRENTLY OPEN.

Vivian Creek is the only standard route that is currently open.

There is one other route, but it's a lot of extra miles and that is:
5. Momyer Creek Trailhead to Alger Creek Trail to Falls Creek Trail to Dollar Lake Saddle to summit. CURRENTLY OPEN.

Route 5 in my opinion is best done as an overnighter. If you do it in one night, I'd spend the night at Dry Lake View or Summit Camps. Better in my opinion to do it as a two night trip with one night at High Creek and one night at Dobbs.

I discuss Route 5 in my Six Loop Hikes in the San Gorgonio Wilderness blog post if you're interested.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:08 pm

If you've done Windy Point Ridge, I don't think you'll have trouble with San G going up Vivian. It's really a beautiful route after you cross the wilderness boundary, and there are various xc routes from there on up to the peak that you can do along the way for the fun of exploring. It's popular partly because of how nice it is and partly because it is so easy to get to with no mountain driving, so you may have to work at getting a permit, but it will definitely be worth it.

z
zippetydude

Postby backpackpack » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks buddies! I would like to stay over night. Are there bears up there?

Jim I will look at your blog tonight and see about planning a trip.
backpackpack

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics