Paddling in National Parks

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Paddling in National Parks

Postby Wildhorse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 am

Is is absurd to think about paddle boarding on Barker Lake in Joshua Tree National Park?

An article in Backpacker.com describes legislation moving forward in Congress that would allow paddle boarding, rafting, and kayaking in national parks in places where it is not already allowed. Apparently the legislation requires the park service to evaluate completely opening up national parks to paddling and requires immediately opening up Yellowstone and Grand Teton to paddling without studying the environmental impact. So far, I have not been able to find much information about this, but would like to read more.

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/wyoming ... nal-parks/

Paddling seems to have impressive clout in Washington.
Wildhorse

Re: Paddling in National Parks

Postby phydeux » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:04 pm

The article needs some facts from both sides. I could see why enviro groups would want to stop it; just look at the effect zebra mussels have had on the Great Lakes. Their eggs can reside on small cavities, protrusions.,dings & dents on personal water craft and be transported long distances on top of a park vistor's car (the eggs can survive out of water for a few months). While a seasonal dry lake in the desert (think Manley Lake at Badwater in Death Valley) would probably be too salty and too seasonal for the critters, a year-round water source like a lake or river in the Yellostone area would be an ideal habitat.

And if you want to see the growth in paddelboarding, just come to the Orange County coastline. Its a booming activity, and the unusualy warm ocean water right now (+70F) makes it ideal for paddleboarding/standup paddleboarding without the hassle of a wetsuit.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics