extra vivian permit for Sat. 10th?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

extra vivian permit for Sat. 10th?

Postby bamm321 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 am

Hello, i know this is a long shot, but me and my doggy would really like to spend the day on vivian creek if anybody has an extra permit spot for tomorrow.

Done momyer 4 times this summer. Another one sounds Bleh
bamm321

Re: extra vivian permit for Sat. 10th?

Postby zippetydude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am

I don't have a Vivian permit, but nice job on Momyer! I don't do that one in the summer because of the gnats and the hot exposed section up to the Wilderness Boundary sign. It's also a very long way up to the peak and back from there. I usually do it as a loop with Vivian, since the permit tells you which way to go up but I believe you can come down any other trail if you like. Since the north face is largely closed, you could always go up Momyer and down Vivian...just a thought. Check that with the ranger just to be sure if you decide to do it, I don't want to steer anybody astray.

z
zippetydude

Postby bamm321 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Hah Zip, yea coming down that in the afternoon isn't much fun. I always see people going up it as i'm coming down and they never look to happy.

Have you split off up to san Bernardino peak? I did that on my last run. Very rough trail, but I loved it!

I will definitely be putting in early for a few Vivian creek permits next year. Couldn't even get one a month in advance this year.
bamm321

Postby zippetydude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Yes, I've done it as a loop cutting off to the left, then across the ridge, coming back down from DLS by way of Alger Creek. Going up, in the part just before the ridgeI had to force my way through a narrow channel of brush. It was crazy but fun. I don't know if that's still overgrown like it was. You're right about Vivian, I usually pick a couple weekends in July and August and then get the permits in May. Except for the first mile up to the Wilderness Boundary Vivian is such a nice trail it's no wonder it's so popular.

z
zippetydude

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics