Matterhorn Canyon Backpack TR

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Matterhorn Canyon Backpack TR

Postby Sally » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Last week Ellen and I fulfilled a dream I have had for over 10 years - a 50 mile loop in the north-eastern corner of Yosemite NP. This hike, also known as t he Peeler Lake, Benson Lake, Kerrick Meadow etc. Loop, starts at Twin Lakes west of Bridgeport, way up the 395.

The trip is a challenging with more than a few passes to cross and many sections of difficult rocky trail. There are also plenty of sections that are easy-going.

This area Is one of the prettiest parts of The Sierra in my opinion, and I have seen a lot of Sierra.

Please enjoy my picture show. Instead of writing a detailed TR I have written a lot of captions for the pics. There are some videos at the end. There is something funky with advancing through the videos, so you need to go back the beginning of the album and click each video individually.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink
Sally

Re: Matterhorn Canyon Backpack TR

Postby HH8 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey, that's my old stompin grounds!
Our nickname for the 3rd Robinson lake (the very green one)
is Mermaid Lake, because of girls swimming there.
HH8

Postby Sally » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:47 am

Hi HH8, I plan on stompin' those grounds some more. We did the loop clockwise, and I would like to do it again in a counter-clockwise fashion.

We didn't see any mermaids in Robinson Lake, but I know of two mermaids in the little tarn up by Seavey Pass :wink: .
Sally

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm

OMG, Barney Lake was 'to die' for. Beautiful! Thanks for posting, very inspiring.

And congratulations on what sounds like a tough hike.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby munmile » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:16 pm

So close to Benson Lake but no pictures? I'm so sad, it's my favorite place.
munmile

Postby Sally » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 am

Hi munmile, Our original itinerary was to spend night #3 at Benson Lake, but we got a few miles behind on the first 2 days. When we got to Smedberg Lake we called it for the day. It turned out to be our favorite campsite of the trip, so no regrets for not making it to Benson. When we got to the junction to the spur trail to Benson Lake we were tempted to take a look, but we had a long day ahead of us so we passed it by. Also, we heard that there was trail work going on and that there were mules and mule-pies on the beach of the lake. I promise that my next trip will include Benson Lake and I will post pics!
Sally

Postby munmile » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 am

hey you do what you have to do out there...i understand :) Aren't those small lakes at the top of Seavy pass wonderful? a true hobbit land.
munmile

Postby Sally » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:55 am

After the long pull up to Seavy Pass, we were hot and went swimming in one of those little lakes!
Sally

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics