Useful Map for Peak Baggers

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Useful Map for Peak Baggers

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:51 am

Southern California Peaks over 9000 Feet Map - This map shows the position and name of all peaks in Southern California that have an elevation in the 9,000 foot (2743 meters), 10,000 foot (3048 meters), or 11,000 foot (3352 meters) range.

Some peaks are a little questionable (Is Zahniser Peak really a peak?), but I've listed everything that is commonly referred to as a peak or is named by the USGS.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Useful Map for Peak Baggers

Postby arocknoid » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks for the compiled peak list/map, Jim.

Your 10K list was most helpful with the only purely peak-bagging objectives I pursue, taking artifacts/gifts for some folks whose outdoor enjoyment is limited to VR and vicarious ventures on their behalf.

(too bad for fire restrictions, now.)

c ya on the trail,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Re: Useful Map for Peak Baggers

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:00 pm

arocknoid wrote:too bad for fire restrictions, now.
Some of which are darned silly. Anderson Peak, the 5th highest peak in Southern Cal, is off limits even though the fire never touched it. The closest the fire got was Shields Peak to the east, and it really didn't do much to Shields. Alto Diablo on the other hand (the next peak to the east) looks like it got some substantive burning in the summit area from what I've been able to gather.

Bighorn Mtn, the third highest peak in So Cal, is also closed even though the standard route to the peak, via the tarn, would not pass through a burn area; neither was the summit itself burned. Likewise Charlton and Little Charlton Peaks, the 7th and 8th highest peaks respectively, are also closed even though they to my knowledge didn't burn. The FS sometimes gets a little paranoid.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics