Page 1 of 1

Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:39 pm
by 63ChevyII
I had originally planned for an overnight trip to Mt. Langley, but after several cancellations, I decided that I would just take on several day hikes solo. Looking at a list of possible hikes in the area, I decided on Mono Pass, with the possibility of a little class 2 to Mono Pass Peak.

Here are some highlights. Clicking on any of the photos will bring you to my full trip report and gallery (~50 photos).
Looking towards Morgan Pass:
Image

Ruby Lake:
Image

Looking across Mono Pass towards Mt. Starr:
Image

Summit Lake:
Image

Getting closer to the peak:
Image

View as I close in on the summit:
Image

Possibly my favorite view in the Sierra. Red & White Mtn, Red Slate Mtn in the distance I believe:
Image

Mt. Morgan (?) as I head back to the TH:
Image

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:35 am
by Hikin_Jim
Cool pix. Liking the Red & White/Red Slate on.

HJ

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:29 pm
by zippetydude
I especially like your last two shots. I love that area and have gone out to Mono Pass but I never went on up to the peak. Next time I will! What an amazing view...thanks for the TR.

z

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 am
by 63ChevyII
Thanks! Here's a view of the route I took.

Red was intended route, blue was actual route:

Image

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am
by zippetydude
Oops! i was thinking of the other Mono Pass just off Hwy 120 as you enter Yosemite. The scenery is quite similar, but when you posted the topo I realized that I was thinking of the wrong place. Looks like a beautiful new place to go explore! Is there entry from the east or do you have to drive around the long route from the west?

z

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 pm
by Hikin_Jim
What did you use to generate those 3D topo images?

HJ

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 pm
by 63ChevyII
zippetydude wrote:Oops! i was thinking of the other Mono Pass just off Hwy 120 as you enter Yosemite. The scenery is quite similar, but when you posted the topo I realized that I was thinking of the wrong place. Looks like a beautiful new place to go explore! Is there entry from the east or do you have to drive around the long route from the west?

z


Lol, I've made the same mistake!

You access this Mono Pass off of the 395. The trailhead is Mosquito Flats, located near Rock Creek Cabins and some of the best pie you find anywhere!

Here's the 'other' Mono Pass in Yosemite: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2014/06/02/mo ... ne-2-2014/

From Mosquito Flats, you can also hike to Morgan Pass/Little Lakes Valley: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2013/08/16/li ... t-16-2013/

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm
by 63ChevyII
Hikin_Jim wrote:What did you use to generate those 3D topo images?

HJ


Google Earth with a Caltopo Shaded Relief Overlay. Neat huh?

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 pm
by HH8
Red Slate Mtn in the distance I believe:


good locale to celebrate July 4th?