Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby 63ChevyII » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:39 pm

I had originally planned for an overnight trip to Mt. Langley, but after several cancellations, I decided that I would just take on several day hikes solo. Looking at a list of possible hikes in the area, I decided on Mono Pass, with the possibility of a little class 2 to Mono Pass Peak.

Here are some highlights. Clicking on any of the photos will bring you to my full trip report and gallery (~50 photos).
Looking towards Morgan Pass:
Image

Ruby Lake:
Image

Looking across Mono Pass towards Mt. Starr:
Image

Summit Lake:
Image

Getting closer to the peak:
Image

View as I close in on the summit:
Image

Possibly my favorite view in the Sierra. Red & White Mtn, Red Slate Mtn in the distance I believe:
Image

Mt. Morgan (?) as I head back to the TH:
Image
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:35 am

Cool pix. Liking the Red & White/Red Slate on.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:29 pm

I especially like your last two shots. I love that area and have gone out to Mono Pass but I never went on up to the peak. Next time I will! What an amazing view...thanks for the TR.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks! Here's a view of the route I took.

Red was intended route, blue was actual route:

Image
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

Oops! i was thinking of the other Mono Pass just off Hwy 120 as you enter Yosemite. The scenery is quite similar, but when you posted the topo I realized that I was thinking of the wrong place. Looks like a beautiful new place to go explore! Is there entry from the east or do you have to drive around the long route from the west?

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 pm

What did you use to generate those 3D topo images?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:17 pm

zippetydude wrote:Oops! i was thinking of the other Mono Pass just off Hwy 120 as you enter Yosemite. The scenery is quite similar, but when you posted the topo I realized that I was thinking of the wrong place. Looks like a beautiful new place to go explore! Is there entry from the east or do you have to drive around the long route from the west?

z


Lol, I've made the same mistake!

You access this Mono Pass off of the 395. The trailhead is Mosquito Flats, located near Rock Creek Cabins and some of the best pie you find anywhere!

Here's the 'other' Mono Pass in Yosemite: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2014/06/02/mo ... ne-2-2014/

From Mosquito Flats, you can also hike to Morgan Pass/Little Lakes Valley: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2013/08/16/li ... t-16-2013/
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:What did you use to generate those 3D topo images?

HJ


Google Earth with a Caltopo Shaded Relief Overlay. Neat huh?
Image
63ChevyII
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Mono Pass, Mono Pass Peak & Summit Lake 7/17/15

Postby HH8 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Red Slate Mtn in the distance I believe:


good locale to celebrate July 4th?
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests