Photos from South Fork Trailhead and Jenks Lake Loop
Well, there's good and there's bad. The good...you can barely tell there was even a fire around the trailhead and all along Jenks Lake Loop. There was no fire damage north of the road at all, contrary to what the fire maps indicated. The bad...it looks like there was a band, running west to east, from somewhere around 8000 to 9000 elevation that cut across the wilderness and seemed to decimate most of the trees in its path. It appears to have burned right across the SF drainage. Only an aerial view will give a clear picture of what damage occurred to the trees. A firefighter I spoke with said there are many areas where the manzanita burned off completely but the trees were spared. In other areas, the fire ran up to the ridge, consuming everything in its path. From my vantage point, I couldn't see anywhere that the fire had hit the ridge.
Here's a shot of the SF Trail Head
DSCN9984 by zippetydude, on Flickr
You can see there's minimal permanent damage, although the trees have been injured, they do not appear to have been killed. All along the road you can see where the undergrowth burned a bit, but it doesn't look bad along there. Here are some examples.
DSCN9961 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9959 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9960 by zippetydude, on Flickr
The truly bad burns are farther back and farther up. They don't appear to have been able to eat the entire mountainside in most places, but rather have cut a large swath from west to east. You'll be able to see what I mean in these photos.
DSCN9951 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Same shot, zoomed in
DSCN9952 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Over by SF drainage as far as I could tell from where I was
DSCN9962 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Again, zoomed in
DSCN9963 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9975 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9987 by zippetydude, on Flickr
It's very hard to tell how big the area is that is devastated, but much of the "burn area" seems to be largely intact as far as trees are concerned. To sum up, it's better than I had expected in some places, worse than I hoped in others. Much of the understory has been cleared, but that will regrow quickly. However, unless there is some provision to replant trees in burned out wilderness areas, the badly charred areas will probably not have trees in them again during our lifetimes.
z
Here's a shot of the SF Trail Head
DSCN9984 by zippetydude, on FlickrYou can see there's minimal permanent damage, although the trees have been injured, they do not appear to have been killed. All along the road you can see where the undergrowth burned a bit, but it doesn't look bad along there. Here are some examples.
DSCN9961 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9959 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9960 by zippetydude, on FlickrThe truly bad burns are farther back and farther up. They don't appear to have been able to eat the entire mountainside in most places, but rather have cut a large swath from west to east. You'll be able to see what I mean in these photos.
DSCN9951 by zippetydude, on FlickrSame shot, zoomed in
DSCN9952 by zippetydude, on FlickrOver by SF drainage as far as I could tell from where I was
DSCN9962 by zippetydude, on FlickrAgain, zoomed in
DSCN9963 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9975 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9987 by zippetydude, on FlickrIt's very hard to tell how big the area is that is devastated, but much of the "burn area" seems to be largely intact as far as trees are concerned. To sum up, it's better than I had expected in some places, worse than I hoped in others. Much of the understory has been cleared, but that will regrow quickly. However, unless there is some provision to replant trees in burned out wilderness areas, the badly charred areas will probably not have trees in them again during our lifetimes.
z