Page 1 of 1

On the Topic of Extreme Unnecessary Risks...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:21 pm
by zippetydude
Okay, I'm all for fun. But this strikes me as dumb.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/07/i ... y-puckered

Sure, very brave and all that, but what about the poor SAR guys that will have to clean up the mess when one of these fools misses? And we thought summer desert hiking was over-the-top!

z

Re: On the Topic of Extreme Unnecessary Risks...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 am
by SoCalJim
Dumb is one word, Zip. Show that video to a group of people and I'm sure they'd come up with a lot of pretty strong descriptors that would include stupid, insane, having a death wish... Not likely many positive terms. There are people out there pushing the limits (Alex Honnold, Ueli Steck...) with varying degrees of risk. Dean Potter did something similar and met with his arguably inevitable fate considering how far and how often he tempted fate. In this case, the margin of error is so small that a slight miscalculation or badly timed wind gust would be fatal. And, as you said, messy. This guy seems to have the same risk assessment mentality as a preschooler who doesn't grasp that running out into the street for a ball could be the last thing he does. Brave? Or foolhardy?

Re: On the Topic of Extreme Unnecessary Risks...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:24 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Dang. Now that is just plain nuts.

And I thought I was loony for trying a new XC route down the Middle Fork of Stone Creek (uh, don't try it; it sucks. HEAVY brush, steep, and bungalow sized boulders).

HJ

Re: On the Topic of Extreme Unnecessary Risks...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 am
by cynthia23
I can't believe we finally found something that even Zip thinks is crazy! :D

As far as this guy slipping through the keyhole--hope he didn't eat too much pizza last night. :(