Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit

Postby Jim Bakos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm

All:

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked this message board. I happened upon it again as I was checking the status of the forest closures (both state and fed are open as of today (11/08/07).

I’m a member of Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, and, hopefully, I can contribute to this forum by answering any Mountain Rescue related questions you have. As well as providing any beta we gather about local trails, climbing and general high-country conditions – as they become available.

Now comes the sales pitch:

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit (RMRU) is actively recruiting new members. If you’re interested in volunteering in Mountain Rescue, or just interested in finding out more about Mountain Rescue and what it entails, consider coming to one of our monthly meetings.

We meet every month, on the first Wednesday, at the Hemet Sheriff’s Station (our sponsoring agency) at 6:00pm for pre-meeting training, with the business meeting to follow at 7:00pm.

Drop a note to me personally, or to our team email at: info@rmru.org if you’d like to come by and visit.

Now for a bit of history:

RMRU has been around for almost 50 years; we have many team members that exceed 20 years of service, and retired members (that still participate), who were founding members of the team. In a nutshell, it’s a legacy. We work in three basic elements: High-angle/Rock Rescue, Snow/Ice and Search and Tracking. We’re available 24/7/365 for FREE! We average about 30 Searches/Rescues a year. And, hands down, one of the greatest groups of mountaineers you’ll ever meet! You don’t need any mountaineering experience, we’ll train you.

Learn more at: www.rmru.org

Now, if your not inclined to become a Mountain Rescue member, but still want to participate in Search and Rescue in Riverside county, there are plenty of other teams that could use your talents:

Desert Search and Rescue: www.dssar.org

Search Dogs of Riv. Cnty: www.searchdogsofriversidecounty.org

Joshua Tree SAR: www.josar.org

Palm Springs Posse: www.pspd.com/search_rescue.html

These are just a few of the fine Search and Rescue folks we’ve worked with over the years here in Riverside county, there are more toward Imperial and out toward Blythe as well.

Hike safe!

Jim Bakos / RMRU
jim(at)bakos.org
Jim Bakos

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics