Page 1 of 1

HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or 23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 pm
by 63ChevyII

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:52 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Nice dude. What are you doing for transportation? Is someone going to pick you up?

I think you'll really like the section heading to Kaweah Gap. At BearPaw Meadow, stop at the High Sierra Camp and walk over to the vicinity of the front porch of the (I think) dining hall that overlooks the edge. The view from there is really worthwhile.

There's a Hot Springs down on the Kern. That's worth a visit. :)

HJ

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:57 pm
by 63ChevyII
Thanks.

I am meeting a buddy and his wife at Whitney Portal. They'll have two cars. I will leave my car at the Portal and they'll leave one of theirs. His wife will drive us to Visalia. We'll take the Sequoia Shuttle into the park and she'll drive home.

I'll be sure to checkout those spots!

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm
by Sally
This is one of my most favorite hikes ever, Chevy! Too bad the car shuttle is such a pain. Be sure to allow for a little extra time to appreciate Precipice Lake, the most mystical lake I have ever seen. By the time you get to Whitney, conditions should be really nice! I am going doing Whitney June 12 and am hoping things will be doable as it is storming again.

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:25 pm
by 63ChevyII
Sally wrote:This is one of my most favorite hikes ever, Chevy! Too bad the car shuttle is such a pain. Be sure to allow for a little extra time to appreciate Precipice Lake, the most mystical lake I have ever seen. By the time you get to Whitney, conditions should be really nice! I am going doing Whitney June 12 and am hoping things will be doable as it is storming again.


Hi Sally. From the sounds of it, if you're hiking hiking via the Main Trail, it is doable with microspikes right now.

We're taking it easy the first couple of days just so we can spend the night at Precipice Lake. I am really looking forward to seeing it!

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:18 am
by Sally
I just got back from Whitney attempt. We turned back at Trail Crest because of near whiteout and blizzard! It was a fabulous hike none-the-less! TR with pics to follow.

Your going to have a great time on HST. Lucky you, a night at Precipice Lake! :)

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am
by 63ChevyII
Wow Sally! How cold was it?

On 2 out of my last 3 Whitney attempts, I've turned around at Trail Camp.

I head up Whitney Portal tomorrow to drop off a vehicle, then we'll drive over to Visalia for the night. You can follow our progress on the trail here:

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/06/09/hi ... mmer-2015/

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:29 am
by Hikin_Jim
Good luck.

HJ

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 pm
by Sally
It wasn't super-duper cold (been colder!) but the snow was REALLY comin' down!
Wishing you a most fantastic trip on the HST!

Re: HST - Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal June 17 to 22 or

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:37 pm
by 63ChevyII
Sally wrote:Wishing you a most fantastic trip on the HST!


Thanks Sally, it was!

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/06/25/hi ... 7-22-2015/