Wildhorse Creek Camp water availability
Hi everyone. With the drought going on and water proving to be hard to come by in the wilderness I thought I'd post that Wildhorse Creek Camp has good flow at this point. It's a nice little camp and it's only 4 miles from the trailhead, so it might be a good choice for a quick and easy early season backpack. Here are a couple pics so you can see the flow. It's not exactly a flood, but you could easily pump/filter all you would need. I normally just drink straight from streams with no filtration, but I would have only done that in this case if I were in serious need, the flow was just too low.
DSCN9959 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9960 by zippetydude, on Flickr
BTW while the trail is only 4 miles, it feels longer because parts of the trail are pretty much just jumbled tennis ball sized rocks. The camp is outside the Wilderness, so you don't need a permit. The trail leads on up to the top of Sugarloaf, which is kind of an interesting place as well. I did it as a mountain bike ride, which the ranger said is both legal and fairly common. It was a LOT easier coming back as some of the rocky spots are pretty much impossible to ride going up without damaging your bike.
z
DSCN9959 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9960 by zippetydude, on FlickrBTW while the trail is only 4 miles, it feels longer because parts of the trail are pretty much just jumbled tennis ball sized rocks. The camp is outside the Wilderness, so you don't need a permit. The trail leads on up to the top of Sugarloaf, which is kind of an interesting place as well. I did it as a mountain bike ride, which the ranger said is both legal and fairly common. It was a LOT easier coming back as some of the rocky spots are pretty much impossible to ride going up without damaging your bike.
z