Page 1 of 1

Mountain Home Flats Trip/Marijuana Report

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 am
by Hikin_Jim
I went to Mountain Home Flats near the San Gorgonio Wilderness last Friday. The water in the creek was flowing. Not super well, but decent.
Image

The trail itself has a lot of slidey scree, which is no big deal if you're used to it and know how to walk on it, but it would be pretty unnerving to anyone not used to it since you traverse across some fairly steep slopes.
Image

There are two spots that are a little dicey where the trail traverses across rocky cliffs. The trail gets down to basically only as wide as your foot at one point, but it's only for a couple of feet. It's quite passable for an experienced hiker.
Image

I found some black irrigation hoses up there, presumably from a marijuana grow operation, but people tell me the operation was busted a couple of years ago, and that the hoses are old.
Image

The trailhead is no longer signed and is a little difficult to find if you haven't been before. See my Interactive San Gorgonio Wilderness Map for location (yes, the Mountain Home Flats Trail is just outside the wilderness, but sheesh, close enough).

HJ

Re: Mountain Home Flats Trip/Marijuana Report

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 pm
by arocknoid
San Gorgonio sativa black snake! Yikes!
an unexpected encounter is not without peril from the hose tenders, in season.
thanks for the trail notes

(don't make us nervous by taking the little one along on that sketchy section ;-}

kind regards,
da noid

Re: Mountain Home Flats Trip/Marijuana Report

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:44 am
by Hikin_Jim
arocknoid wrote:San Gorgonio sativa black snake! Yikes!
an unexpected encounter is not without peril from the hose tenders, in season.
These are old or so I am told. One had been cut I noticed, so clearly not in service. Definitely got my attention when I arrived on site. :shock:

arocknoid wrote:don't make us nervous by taking the little one along on that sketchy section ;-}
As a father, after due and deliberate consideration, I would like to say that there is NO FREAKING WAY I would ever take Joycie on that thing for at least a dozen or so years.

HJ

Re: Mountain Home Flats Trip/Marijuana Report

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:06 pm
by drndr
Alright I'm sure it's obvious but I couldnt find the trail head on your map link.. Help me out.

Dan

Re: Mountain Home Flats Trip/Marijuana Report

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:49 am
by Hikin_Jim
Find Angelus Oaks. Trace down Highway 38 about a mile or so to where Glen Martin Creek crosses under Hwy 38. The trail starts on the south side of Glen Martin Creek. Here's my GPS Track. A very worthwhile hike, albeit only 4 miles R.T. A bit steep in sections, and some sections are a little "airy" (washed out with a lot of exposure).

HJ