Page 1 of 2

Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4 2015

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:10 pm
by 63ChevyII
We decided to spend Friday night at Whitewater Preserve. I spent some time watching the eclipse, went for a quick hike the next morning, then spent a few hours playing in the water.

The full gallery (~70 photos) and trip report is posted here:http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/04/08/family-camping-hiking-whitewater-preserve-april-3-4-2015/#photos

Here are some highlights:
Image
Blood Moon

Image
San Jacinto

Image
Riley taking in the sunrise

Image
Flowers...

Image
Yucca Bloom

Image
Playing with my son

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Really nice photos. What kind of camera are you using?

HJ

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm
by 63ChevyII
Hikin_Jim wrote:Really nice photos. What kind of camera are you using?

HJ



Thanks! The moon photos were taken with our Nikon D80, except for the blu-ish looking one (DSC03928). The rest of them were taken with our Sony NEX F3. I think I paid around $450 for the camera body and two lenses. It was more than I wanted to spend for a 'hiking' camera, but hands down it one of the best purchases I've ever made. We use it for most everything now. The D80 sits on the shelf unless I am doing nighttime photos.

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Pretty spiffy. What does a Sony NEX F3 weigh with, say, one fairly "adaptable" lens (i.e. a general purpose lens that could be used for the majority of normal photographs).

HJ

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 pm
by 63ChevyII
It's about 20 oz with the 18-55mm kit lens. That's all I usually carry on the trail. I carry it using a camera clip, so I don't mind the weight - well worth the quality of the photos it takes: http://www.hikinggeek.com/2014/04/16/ge ... ip-propad/

I'd like the 18-200 lens, buts it's too pricey for me.

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:38 am
by Hikin_Jim
63ChevyII wrote:It's about 20 oz with the 18-55mm kit lens.
Nearly a pound and a half. Ouch. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to weight. I'm thinking 8 oz is pretty heavy for a camera. :lol:

HJ

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am
by 63ChevyII
Hikin_Jim wrote:
63ChevyII wrote:It's about 20 oz with the 18-55mm kit lens.
Nearly a pound and a half. Ouch. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to weight. I'm thinking 8 oz is pretty heavy for a camera. :lol:

HJ



I tried to go with a lighter, cheaper camera. I just wasn't happy with the quality.

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm
by zippetydude
I love those moon pics! Nicely done. The rest are clear and crisp, so I see why you opt for the more convenient camera. As a dad taking his little one on adventures, you're wise to capture those moments. I'm sure HJ would agree on that, right Jim? How's your beautiful little Joyce?

Back on the topic, I have found in recent years that taking pics has added to my enjoyment of trail time - it's like bringing treasures home after an adventure. As I've mentioned before, my Nikon Coolpix p600 superzoom is my favorite. It weighs right at 20 oz, just like 65ChevyII's camera. I find it's the perfect balance for me between camera size and quality of pics. It's not real big, but it takes excellent pictures. HJ, I hear what you're saying as far as size. I have a tiny Canon that's very highly rated, takes great pics, and weighs 7.6 ounces. It lives in my pack so that even if I don't bring my other camera I always have a back up available.

Some good advice I received about photography: What's the best camera, hands down, every time? The camera that you will actually have with you when you want to take a picture. The highest quality camera in the world sitting at home on a desk does you no good at all if it never leaves the house. My wife has a wonderful Canon 6D, and it takes phenomenal pictures. It also weighs almost as much as I do. JK, of course, but it's not a camera that I would take with me running around in the wilderness.

We should start a thread with each person sharing their favorite 5 or 10 pics that they've taken. Could be fun and we each might find inspiration from other people's creativity to try something new with our own photography. Hmmm...

z

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:14 pm
by 63ChevyII
zippetydude wrote:I love those moon pics! Nicely done. The rest are clear and crisp, so I see why you opt for the more convenient camera. As a dad taking his little one on adventures, you're wise to capture those moments..... What's the best camera, hands down, every time? The camera that you will actually have with you when you want to take a picture... Back on the topic, I have found in recent years that taking pics has added to my enjoyment of trail time - it's like bringing treasures home after an adventure...

Thanks Z! Your comments echo my thinking. Looking back at the digital photos I took 10 years ago makes me wish I had a higher quality camera. I figure using the best camera that I can reasonably afford and carry now is worth the weight/cost.

I actually carry the Sony NEX in my workbag on a regular basis. Some of my favorite sunrise/set photos were taken on my way to work or my way home from work.

Documenting my trips is a huge part of the experience/enjoyment for me.

zippetydude wrote: I have a tiny Canon that's very highly rated, takes great pics, and weighs 7.6 ounces.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L26 that I always carry as a backup. After having a camera die on my first Whitney hike, I make sure I have a backup plan.


zippetydude wrote:We should start a thread with each person sharing their favorite 5 or 10 pics that they've taken.

Great idea! I'll definitely participate.

Re: Family Camping & Hiking: Whitewater Preserve, April 3-4

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 am
by tarol
great pics! how much is it to camp there overnight?