Page 1 of 1

Winter Summits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:48 am
by wolverine
Hi all,
I'm a student from UofM training here at UCLA for the next 6 weeks. I'm interested in getting out and doing some hiking during my stay here and would like to summit one of the peaks in the Southern California area, but am limited by the equipment available to me (only have what I could fly with). I was able to bring necessary clothes/equipment for general day hiking trips (just did the Mishe Mokwa/Backbone trail), but I only have boots, no snow shoes, crampons, spikes, ice axe,etc... Thus my question is are there any summits around here that are obtainable in plain hiking boots during the time span I'll be here, now till Feb 25th? The peaks I'm most interested in are:
Mt. Baldy
San Gorgonio
San Jacinto
Thanks for the advice!

Re: Winter Summits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:15 pm
by Sally
Hi Wolverine, just noticed your post , sorry for the delayed reply. I think all 3 peaks, especially Baldy, are doable without special traction. However, microspikes would make the trip a lot more pleasant. Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail, and San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek Trail should be OK. I haven't been to San Jacinto Peak in months, so I'm not so sure about that, but my guess is that micros should be enough. If I'm mistaken, would someone please correct me?

I understand you didn't bring Micros or other similar traction, but these peaks are worth it to buy a pair. If you don't use them you could return them.