Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario

Postby Ellen » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:40 am

Howdy All :)

Yesterday I went up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario peak. The new snow made for a longer day. I donned micros once I was on the ridge proper -- about 2 hrs in. It was quite breezy but enjoyable. My progress slowed significantly when I reached the plateau before the final climb up to the Ontario Ridge Trail. There were numerous tracks -- big horn, deer, human, coyote as well as the little critters. I was constantly post holing and having to haul myself over deadfall and out of black holes. Could not get any kind of rhythm climbing. Finally reached the trail, where I continued to post hole, even in other hikers tracks. Had brunch on Ontario, then headed down to Kelly's and Ice House saddle. Footing was uneven and I continued to have difficulty keeping any kind of pace. Descending from Icehouse Saddle was better but not relaxing due to slippery snow and patches of ice. It was a beautiful day -- just required more effort than I expected.

Image

Baldy from Ontario

Image

Looking at Big Horn from the Ontario Ridge

Image

One more look at Baldy before dropping to Kelly's.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario

Postby Sally » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Crawling out of Falling Rock Canyon in crampons is probably doable for a few days, but probably one would need to carry snowshoes, too. BTW, I picked up your new gaiters today, Ellen!

Happy New Year everyone!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests