Page 1 of 2

Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I went up the Baldy Bowl yesterday. Trail was well packed from Manker to ski hut (wore microspikes), from there on we were in virgin snow. Donned crampons and ice axes and headed up the right side of the bowl. The snow was wonderful -- I was able to create steps for Sally and Marilyn as we climbed.. As we got higher, the snow became deeper and we started post holing. Upon exiting the bowl and starting the final climb to the summit, we were post holing up to our knees or more. While I prefer nice powder snow to scary ice when I'm climbing, It was exhausting. Going down was also a post hole nightmare. We had lunch out of the wind at our usual spot (8.5 K). Our friend Martin Parsons arrived as we were finishing lunch. He'd come up Register Ridge and the Devil's Backbone. He was also post holing and, like us, placing his poles in front of him on the snow to extricate himself. He noted that he seemed to have developed Tourette's on the climb to Baldy :lol: Martin broke trail for us back to the rock garden at the bottom of the bowl, which was a blessing as my legs were toast. We were in and out of the clouds all day, it was exquisitely beautiful. Flocked trees, rime ice, hikers in the mist

I've never encountered snow like this on Baldy. Hopefully it will consolidate. Marilyn had suggested that we carry snowshoes in addition to all of other gear -- I didn't think we'd need them :roll: Had a fabulous burger at the Baldy lodge before heading home. Thanks to Sally and Marilyn for buying my dinner and keeping me company on another epic day.

As the Team Artic Wolf photographer, Sally will post pictures.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm
by 63ChevyII
I think I saw the three of you headed up. I was coming down Register Ridge around 8:15.

I used snowshoes from around 7600 - 8300 ft, where I watched the sunrise. I had to work yesterday, so I headed back to my car as soon as I was done taking photos. On the descent, I met a gentleman named Martin that was attempting his 248th summit.

I will post photos and a trip report later.

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 pm
by Sally
Although there was a bit of suffering that took place, this is one of my most favorite trips and I will always remember it and the great company I was able to share it with. I took tons of pictures (mainly while I was catching my breath from the exertion.) Ellen is like one of those snow-plows on the engines of those trains that run through snow-country, and Marilyn never stops smiling.

Pictures (bear with me, it was hard to edit very many out):
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... edirect=1#

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm
by Sally
I'm looking forward to your TR and photos, Chevy!

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:59 pm
by Ed
Congratulations to the Gang of Three! What a team! One breaks trail, one snaps pictures, and one keeps smiling through what do not look like smiley-time conditions!

How far to the right in the bowl were you? E.g., were you on a more-or-less straight line to the summit, aiming for the Baldy-Harwood saddle, or somewhere in between?

And, Ellen, where did you get those nifty down mittens?

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 am
by Sally
Ed, we stayed rather right-ish, but not so right as the Baldy-Harwood Saddle. There's a rather distinctive gully, probably left by this year's monsoons, and we pretty much stayed right on the right edge of it most of the way.
I like your description of our team: trail-breaker, photographer, and smiling gal in charge of morale!

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:21 pm
by zippetydude
Sounds like fun, but it also sounds like a ton of work...breaking trail is at least twice as hard as regular hiking, and you 3 were in new, soft snow! Yipes. Must have been murder. Thanks for the post and the great pics!

z

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Z :)

At least there was enough snow to post-hole:

Image

Brings back fond memories of following you, Speedy Steve, InFerno, Scott2 and other friends as you broke trail up to San Jacinto peak.

Howdy Chevy :)

I purchased the down mittens on-line from Grandoe back in late 2012. They also came in a waterproof version. I also have Grandoe down gloves. Both fit very well and I can actually use my hands -- a rarity with many insulated gloves.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:04 pm
by 63ChevyII
Here's my (mostly finished) trip report and some photos:
Register Ridge Trip Report, December 18 2014

Re: Bowling on Baldy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:00 am
by Ed
Thanks for the route description, Sally. I think you nailed it down about as well as words can do. And thanks for the info on the down mittens, Ellen, I had never heard of that brand before.