Page 1 of 1

Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:32 am
by Hikin_Jim
Just a quick trip report from the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek in the San Gabriel Mountains here in Southern California.

It's dry out because of the current multi-year drought, but the Middle Fork typically has water, so we thought we'd give it a go before things got too cold for me to take my daughter.

It's a bit heavy for me to carry everything for the both of us, particularly when the mercury takes a dive, but my Gossamer Gear Mariposa seemed equal to the task (albeit stuffed to the gills).
Image

We thought we'd head up to Third Stream Crossing for the night.
Image

Accompanying us were Mangus and his lovely daughter.
Image

It was cloudy and cool. The last hints of fall were still to be seen.
Image

Little Joycie seems to be just as big of a gear head as I am. Here she is trying to swipe Mangus' trekking pole. ;)
Image

Finally, we arrive at lovely Third Stream Crossing.
Image

After setting up camp, we went exploring the S branch of the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek.
Image

We couldn't explore far because the canyon soon became impassible. We were however not too disappointed inasmuch as at the point of impass, there was a lovely little falls.
Image

A good day's travel put under our belt, it was time to retire although certain young campers wanted to stay up late.
Image

But the Siren's song of daddy's puffy Summerlite soon overcame all objections.
Image

Alas, all good things -- and all good weekends -- must come to an end. The following morning we packed and headed for home.
Image

My little trail angel was a bit faster than I but patiently waited for slow poke daddy to catch up. I had to carry her the first part of the hike out because she was cold and crying (poor thing was a bit overwhelmed), but she perked right up and outpaced me. Perhaps she just needed the warmth and reassurance of her daddy?
Image

Returning to our vehicle, we re-entered "civilization," and thus ended our trip. A lovely time in the woods with my daughter. Priceless.

HJ

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 pm
by zippetydude
Those are some sweet times, brings back memories. I'm so glad you get to enjoy them together! Thanks for the post.

z

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:54 pm
by Ulysses
Great trip report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I've never hiked the Lytle Creek area. My grandfather used to talk of hunting deer out there. looks beautiful.

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 am
by Hikin_Jim
zippetydude wrote:Those are some sweet times, brings back memories. I'm so glad you get to enjoy them together! Thanks for the post.

z
This is pretty much my favorite daddy-daughter time. Hey, when are we doing another campout or something? Kat ("Cat?") must be graduated from college now and married with four kids now, it's been so long since I've seen her.

HJ

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 am
by Hikin_Jim
Ulysses wrote:Great trip report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I've never hiked the Lytle Creek area. My grandfather used to talk of hunting deer out there. looks beautiful.
It varies over there in the Lytle Creek area, but the Middle Fork is a favorite spot for me in the San Gabriels. Crummy dirt road though.

HJ

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 pm
by Sally
Priceless, indeed! I didn't start dragging my daughters out to the wilderness until they were in middle school, when a spark rekindled my desire to hike. I guess I didn't wait TOO long because, fortunately, it "took." They are now in their 30's and love to be in the mountains.

Now, I've got to work on those grandkids. One is obsessed with fishing and the other with music, and they both enjoy video games - all great pursuits, but I need to get them out on the trail. Soon. Hard to do because they live on the other side of the country.

Thank you HJ for the TR and priceless pics.

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:59 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Thanks, Sally.

Hmm. Fishing shouldn't be too hard to work with. Lots of great fishing in the High Sierra. Now music on the other hand...

HJ

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 pm
by arocknoid
Good times; indeed the best of times. How quickly they grow, ne?

Glad to hear that Joyce perked up after the cold and dreary start of the return, finishing the trip with smiles all 'round. How fun for her to have a friend along on the hike, too. (fun for both of the youngsters and their dads.)

Thanks for the post and pics.

Re: Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am
by Hikin_Jim
arocknoid wrote:How quickly they grow, ne?
Hai, so desu ne.

arocknoid wrote:Glad to hear that Joyce perked up after the cold and dreary start of the return, finishing the trip with smiles all 'round. How fun for her to have a friend along on the hike, too. (fun for both of the youngsters and their dads.)
I was much relieved. She was not a happy camper Sunday morning. But after carrying her awhile, she either warmed up or lightened up (or both). I think she was a bit discouraged that I didn't immediately "fix" the cold weather. Something like that.

But she was "bright eyed and bushy tailed" by the end of the hike.
Image

HJ