Page 1 of 2
Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:26 pm
by Ulysses
Any suggestions for an overnight backpack trip in Joshua Tree NP? Something moderate.
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:47 pm
by zippetydude
I don't know what the rules are as far as camping in improved sites vs. just camping out in the desert, but I did Eureka Point a year or so ago as a trail run and I remember thinking it would be a great place to spend the night and watch the lights and traffic on the 10 far, far away as they move slowly past, then looking up at the night sky and doing the same as the belt of Orion passes overhead. If it's legal, I'd recommend that. Beautiful views. Very nice place to visit anyway. Easy walk (maybe 4 miles each way?) on slight uphill though sandy trail. And you're actually outside the fee area of the park there, which is nice as well.
z
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 pm
by Florian
Pinto Well area from the SW corner of the geology tour road loop is interesting.
Zip, where is Eureka Point?
-Florian
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 pm
by neverwashasbeen
Lots of options, depends somewhat on what you want in terms of solitude, length, trail vs x-c and so on. I suggest the California Riding and Hiking Trail, can be done in stages if you don't want to do the whole thing. The Boy Scout trail is popular, also the Lost Horse Mine is nice. The Pinto area Florian mentioned has a lot to offer as well. Of course there's lots of off trail as well, hard to go wrong out there. Enjoy!
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 am
by Ulysses
Great suggestions. Thank you all. Since this will be our first backcountry excursion in the park we'll probably stick to established trails.
Florian-could the Pinto Basin area you refer to also be accessed from Twin Tanks trailhead? Do you use the California Riding and Hiking Trail?
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:49 pm
by Florian
Ulysses wrote:Florian-could the Pinto Basin area you refer to also be accessed from Twin Tanks trailhead? Do you use the California Riding and Hiking Trail?
I suggested Pinto Well area. It's a canyon off the geology tour road. Pinto Basin is farther east but also offers some good options.
-Florian
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:58 pm
by Florian
Looks like Pinto Well and Pushwalla Canyon areas are day use only. I didn't realize that. Sorry. I would do Fried Liver Wash corridor off NE corner of geology tour loop. Here is map link ..
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/u ... valley.pdf -Florian
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:07 pm
by Florian
The parts of the California Riding and Hiking Trail that i have hiked i've always found kind of uninteresting.
-Florian
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:12 pm
by Florian
A hike i've always wanted to do but never have done is from the Cottonwood Spring campground to Conejo Well. The map shows as cross-country but i think you mostly follow an old jeep road.
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/u ... onwood.pdf -Florian
Re: Joshua Tree backpacking suggestions

Posted:
Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:40 am
by zippetydude
Hi Florian. Here's a Summit Post link.
http://www.summitpost.org/eureka-peak/560039I did the trail, which is, as you mentioned, rather nondescript. There was an interesting canyon off to the south that I went off trail to explore, and that was kinda nice. I saw the dirt road they mention in the write-up, but saw no traffic on a Saturday afternoon in prime season, so it's not a very busy location. Might be fun to bike it sometime via the road if it's not too sandy on my mountain bike, or even to drive up and let the sun set while just relaxing and reading or playing the guitar. I'd like to take in the views during and after sunset.
z