Page 1 of 1

Falls of High Creek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:36 pm
by Hikin_Jim
I did a little cross country travelling this past weekend up in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. One of the routes I did was a route up high Creek from the Halfway Camp area. Here is my GPS track showing the route I took from Halfway Camp to High Creek Camp.

There was some pretty heavy brush between Halfway Camp and the drop in at High Creek.
Image

However, once in the drainage, the brush generally wasn't bad.

It was a nice route with plenty of water.
Image

Of interest to me were the three water falls between the drop in point and High Creek Falls. I've known about High Creek Falls for a number of years (it's visible from the Vivian Creek Trail), but I wasn't sure what I would find below High Creek Falls. I found another three falls.

A word of warning to anyone who might be interested in ascending High Creek: Each of the falls requires a certain degree of rock climbing skill (this is not hiking). The falls generally require class three moves to surmount. See backcountry travel classes for definitions.

First falls (really more of a steep cascade):
Image

Looking down from first falls:
Image
Yes, you need to scale straight up the face.

Second falls:
Image

I thought the second falls was really interesting. It had these beautiful fluted grooves worn into the rock by the water.
Image

Looking down the second falls.
Image

Third falls:
Image

Looking down the third falls:
Image

Above the third falls there were some unpleasant willow thickets, but nothing horrible.
Image

And finally, one comes to High Creek Falls, which is just below High Creek Camp. I've always thought this was one of the most attractive falls in the San Gorgonio Wilderness.
Image

Image

Image

Image

A very interesting trip, but again one would be well advised to consider what rock climbing skills are involved before embarking on the journey.

Regards,

HJ

Re: Falls of High Creek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:09 am
by Andy
Looks like a fun route Jim and those are some good vertigo shots from the top :shock: . I've never taken the time to explore that area much and only know about its existence from passing by on the trail. The water worn rocks in our canyons always amazes me, especially where the volume of water is generally quite low. How many years it must take for those shapes to be carved into the granite.

Re: Falls of High Creek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:38 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Andy wrote:those are some good vertigo shots from the top :shock: .
lol. Yeah, this is definitely an easier ascent route than a descent route. Downclimbing is always a bit more difficult. That said, it was pretty solid class three. Goodness knows I've done a lot of sketchy waterfall bypasses in So Calif in my time. This was pretty solid.

Andy wrote: I've never taken the time to explore that area much and only know about its existence from passing by on the trail. The water worn rocks in our canyons always amazes me, especially where the volume of water is generally quite low. How many years it must take for those shapes to be carved into the granite.
I found this one to be particularly fascinating.
Image

It's a near perfect trough. It's God's rain gutter. ;) The water just sluices right out of it.
Image

Image

HJ

Re: Falls of High Creek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm
by guest
Great TR Jim, loves those photos, and vertigo is cool, sometimes!
Looks like some fun, but challenging scrambling / climbing, but I'd attempt to find a trail, ridge to descend.

And, this just in, (as you most likely already know: President Obama created the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument!
That should help your backyard remain peaceful!

ss

Re: Falls of High Creek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:09 pm
by Hikin_Jim
guest wrote:Great TR Jim, loves those photos, and vertigo is cool, sometimes!
Looks like some fun, but challenging scrambling / climbing, but I'd attempt to find a trail, ridge to descend.
You and me both. I used the trail to descend after climbing the falls.

guest wrote:And, this just in, (as you most likely already know: President Obama created the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument!
That should help your backyard remain peaceful!
Yeah, who knows what the practical implications will be? Hopefully more funding, but if just a gesture, then not of much use. I just hope things don't get too restrictive.

HJ