Shots of recent smokey sunset, full moon, fire recovery, etc
Hi all. After the fire in OC a couple weeks back the sunsets were spectacular. I took a couple of shots:
DSCN9546 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9543 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Then there was the full moon...
14706678809_fd6279501a_k - Edited by zippetydude, on Flickr
Sure seems like it's getting closer nowadays! So, I went roaming over to the far eastern side of Horse Meadow in the San G area and noticed, from this new perspective, an area of unusually small trees looking west:
DSCN9251 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Zooming in a little, it was quite distinct that the growth was newer than the surrounding area. Was there a fire there maybe 30 or 40 years ago? Was logging temporarily permitted? I'm wondering about the history of that event. BTW, wandering all around Horse Meadow is much prettier than just the little bit you see by the cabins as you go up SF. If you turn and go east from the trail, you'll break through a line of trees and find this large rock and a further, more extensive part of the meadow:
DSCN9246 by zippetydude, on Flickr
And this hidden creek in the ravine on the far side of the meadow.
DSCN9254 by zippetydude, on Flickr
I believe this is a diversion of SF that is funnelled into Jenks Lake. I went around on the old Poopout Hill access road from the meadow and traced it going up along the SIDE of the mountain, which looks very odd, and finally cut back away from it, unable to follow it to its origin since I did not have a wilderness permit that day and it turned and parallelled the SF trail going towards Slushy Meadows into the wilderness. I popped out right at the wilderness boundary sign.
These last two shots are just taken from the hills by Wildwood State Park in Yucaipa, close to my home. Just liked the way they came out.
DSCN9218 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9217 by zippetydude, on Flickr
Anyone else catching some fun shots or noticing some interesting things in the wilderness that they'd like to share?
z
DSCN9546 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9543 by zippetydude, on FlickrThen there was the full moon...
14706678809_fd6279501a_k - Edited by zippetydude, on FlickrSure seems like it's getting closer nowadays! So, I went roaming over to the far eastern side of Horse Meadow in the San G area and noticed, from this new perspective, an area of unusually small trees looking west:
DSCN9251 by zippetydude, on FlickrZooming in a little, it was quite distinct that the growth was newer than the surrounding area. Was there a fire there maybe 30 or 40 years ago? Was logging temporarily permitted? I'm wondering about the history of that event. BTW, wandering all around Horse Meadow is much prettier than just the little bit you see by the cabins as you go up SF. If you turn and go east from the trail, you'll break through a line of trees and find this large rock and a further, more extensive part of the meadow:
DSCN9246 by zippetydude, on FlickrAnd this hidden creek in the ravine on the far side of the meadow.
DSCN9254 by zippetydude, on FlickrI believe this is a diversion of SF that is funnelled into Jenks Lake. I went around on the old Poopout Hill access road from the meadow and traced it going up along the SIDE of the mountain, which looks very odd, and finally cut back away from it, unable to follow it to its origin since I did not have a wilderness permit that day and it turned and parallelled the SF trail going towards Slushy Meadows into the wilderness. I popped out right at the wilderness boundary sign.
These last two shots are just taken from the hills by Wildwood State Park in Yucaipa, close to my home. Just liked the way they came out.
DSCN9218 by zippetydude, on Flickr
DSCN9217 by zippetydude, on FlickrAnyone else catching some fun shots or noticing some interesting things in the wilderness that they'd like to share?
z