Page 1 of 1

(Legal) Wood Fires in the OC?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:58 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Anyone know where can I test a wood stove in the OC?  Where I used to live in LA, I knew that I could go to any trail camp (Hogees, West Fork, Little Jimmy, etc.) and use (legally!) a wood stove.  

But where can I go to in Orange County?  The ideal would be something I could hike to, but I'll take what I can get.  I've heard of Fisherman's Camp in the Cleveland National Forest, but can I use a wood stove?  I assume that I can, but I can't really tell from the USFS website.  Anyone been there and have any general comments as well as comments on wood fires there?

Any county parks that anyone knows about?  Say something like at Henninger Flats which is run by LA county.  I'd be hiking with my 4 year old, so a short hike is best, say 2 miles or so, each way.

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm
by greatshaitan
So wood burning stoves are not allowed in the San Mateo Canyon Wilderness. See the link below.

http://images.ocregister.com/newsimages/community/thecanyons/2008/01/SMCWilderness%20Trails.pdf

Having said that, Fisherman's camp gets sort of carved out of the wilderness. I just called the Trabuco Ranger Station and they confirmed that wood burning stoves are allowed at Fisherman's Camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Very cool! I think I know where I'm headed on Saturday!

Thanks so much.

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 pm
by greatshaitan
Have fun! Lots of poison oak out there so keep a keen eye! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 am
by Hikin_Jim
Yipes! Thanks for the warning. At least I know what it looks like. Gonna be a hot one. :(

Hope the recruiting drive is going well.

Much obliged,

HJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:30 pm
by Hikin_Jim
greatshaitan wrote:So wood burning stoves are not allowed in the San Mateo Canyon Wilderness. See the link below.

http://images.ocregister.com/newsimages/community/thecanyons/2008/01/SMCWilderness%20Trails.pdf

Having said that, Fisherman's camp gets sort of carved out of the wilderness. I just called the Trabuco Ranger Station and they confirmed that wood burning stoves are allowed at Fisherman's Camp.
Hmm. My copy of "Afoot and Afield in Orange County" says no wood fires. My San Mateo Wilderness Guide, a USFS publication, says no wood fires. The pdf you linked to says no wood fires.

I wonder if the ranger was really clear as to what he or she was talking about. Maybe he or she was thinking of car camping campgrounds and answered on that basis. I'd hate to drive out there (about 3 hours round trip) and find out that I can't test the stove I came to test.

Fishermans Camp sounds perfect for what I want, but maybe with the uncertainty, I might just go to one of the County Parks for tomorrow morning; O'Neil is pretty close. Better do some quick web searches...

HJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:58 pm
by Hikin_Jim
So, I wound up at O'Neill Regional Park. Did a little hiking on some of their trails. Hot, humid, and you could occasionally hear the noise from the 241 toll road, but still nice to be out.

I asked, when I got there, where I could have wood fire. I was told by the ranger at the gate that all the overnight camp sites have fire rings but that all the camp sites were full. They have BBQ grills in the picnic area, so I asked if I could use my wood stove(s) there, and he said "sure, go ahead." And so I did, even though I read something on their website to the effect that the BBQ grills were for charcoal only.

I'll post photos and my usual write up when time permits.

HJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:06 pm
by Hikin_Jim
CT ultralight wood stove from Suluk 46.

Image

HJ