Page 1 of 1

How many miles of hiking before meeting Ellen?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 am
by GoPlayer
There are always posts by people who met Ellen in the mountains. That made me wonder how much hiking is required to guarantee an Ellen-Encounter :) ?

I did a little test last weekend by hiking up San Jacinto twice in 24h (Saturday via Marion trail, Sunday C2C). As I was enjoying some quiet time lying in the shade below the summit after the C2C ascent Ellen came around the corner. We had a nice little chat.

I think this was only my 5th hike this year in the Bernadino/Angles mountains, but the 2nd time I met Ellen after meeting her in March below Ontario Peak.

It's always good to run into you Ellen. Looking forward to next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm
by Lermo
The 1st time I met Ellen was in the spring of 2011 while summiting San J in snowshoes. She called out with a "Howdy" while floating by on the downhill slope.

The 2nd time was right after I had summited Whitney in July, 2012. I was laying there on the summit enjoying some rest & sun when I heard this voice behind me saying "It feels like I'm slipping into a hypoxic coma". There was Ellen at the top of Whitney!! I couldn't believe it because I had just been telling my hiking partner about this super woman who hikes mountains like they were nothing. BTW, she was just kidding about the hypoxic coma.

Always a delight Ellen!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Go Player :)

Always enjoy seeing you 8)

I was gob smacked to learn that you did the Full Monty (Skyline to the peak) on Sunday. It felt too hot for me on the Strawberry loop. I was humbled even more when you said you'd hiked up via Marion Mt. on Saturday :shock:

My new nickname for you -- Hengst Jr. (Clarification for forum -- hengst is the German word for stallion).

Howdy Lermo :)

Aw shucks :oops: I wasn't kidding about the hypoxic coma. That was the Whitney trip when the marmot stole my friend's potato chips :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 pm
by GoPlayer
Ellen wrote:...
I was gob smacked to learn that you did the Full Monty (Skyline to the peak) on Sunday. It felt too hot for me on the Strawberry loop. I was humbled even more when you said you'd hiked up via Marion Mt. on Saturday :shock: ...


Yeah, it was hot. Since I know that I need a lot of water on days like that I carried 6.5l, 5+ of which I consumed on skyline alone. In total I drank over 10l on the hike. On days like this I wish I was smaller :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm
by 63ChevyII
I saw Ellen the first time I hiked Skyline.

I was sitting on the side of the trail and saw this streak of baby blue go by. I said hello, but since she was travelling faster than the speed of sound, I don't think she heard me. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 am
by Perry
Another experiment you could try is eating at the original Las Casuelas every weekend and looking for Ellen... It's a small world. Ellen, have you considered wearing a Where's Waldo outfit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm
by Ellen
Howdy 63ChevyII :)

Yikes, I'm sorry :oops: My eyesight isn't great but I hear OK. As an apology, I'll treat you a post hike beverage. Hmm, wait...I wonder how many 63ChevyII's will introduce themselves on the trail :lol:

Howdy Grandmaster P :)

Yes, there's a good chance I can found at Las Casuelas following a Skyline or tram hike. It was great to see you, Crystal and Lily and meet your mom 8)

I've been tempted to put a brown paper bag over my head and be the "unknown hiker" :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm
by Hikin_Jim
What we really need is a proper unit of measure. I propose "hikes per Ellen" (HPE). How many hikes can a person do locally until one encounters Ellen? Of course hiking FRC, Register Ridge, Dobbs Ridge, and Skyline greatly increase the chances of a Close Encounter of the Ellen Kind.

HJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:32 pm
by 63ChevyII
Ellen wrote:Howdy 63ChevyII :)

Yikes, I'm sorry :oops: My eyesight isn't great but I hear OK. As an apology, I'll treat you a post hike beverage. Hmm, wait...I wonder how many 63ChevyII's will introduce themselves on the trail :lol:



Lol, no worries - no need for an apology! I'm soft spoken and it was that day where there were a couple of large meetup groups headed up the trail