Page 1 of 1

John's Meadow Loop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:33 pm
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Yesterday, Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I hiked up from the Forsee creek TH to Anderson peak.

Image

View of a familiar looking mountain range :wink: from the summit of Anderson.

Image

We dropped off Anderson and headed along the ridge trail to east San Bernardino peak.

Image

Looking at Anderson and San Gorgonio from east SB peak.

Image

Sally and Marilyn on west San Bernardino peak.

Image

I've always liked this view while descending the San Bernardino peak trail. Reminds me of an arrowhead or a kite with a tail.

Image

View of Mill creek and Santiago from the stone bench.

Image

View of Baldy.

Image

Mother Nature's bridge.

Image

"We're going that a way" down the use trail to John's meadow.

Image

Looking back at the San Gorgonio ridge as we drop down the trail.

Image

After passing through John's meadow, we took a break at Forsee creek. Completed the hike back to the car and celebrated with yummy burgers at Mill Creek Barbecue in Mentone.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm
by zippetydude
Nice pics and a nice hike. Wow, no snow anywhere! Btw, have you noticed that coming back from John's Meadow is very much like coming back down from Lone Pine Lake as you finish up Whitney? It's not unpleasant, but it seems to take a very long time when you're tired and kinda already thinking about a nice seat in a restaurant and some good solid food in your belly...or is that just me?

Glad you three adventurers had fun.

z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm
by Sally
No, Zippetydude, it's not just you, John's Meadow Trail does go on and on and on. But anticipating Forsee Creek and the suspense of "Will it have water?" and "Will it have flowers?" makes it interesting. Anticipating the cheeseburger at the end... well, I thought I was going to chew my arm off by the time we got to the car.

Forsee Creek DID have water, but the wildflower display won't happen for a few weeks. There were some huge lupin plants just starting to get buds.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Fabulous pics with great clarity. Looks like a lot of the snow that was still there a week earlier has melted off. Yipes, it's going to be dry out there this year.

I'll have to check out Forsee Creek in a month or so; the wildflowers should be really going to town then.

OK, so you've done the Forsee Loop as a day hike. Can you do all six loops in the San Gorgonio Wilderness as day hikes? Good opportunities, all, to see different parts of the wilderness.

HJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 pm
by Sally
I have only done 3 of the 6 loops as day hikes: the South Fork Loop, the Momyer/Falls Loop, and the Forsee Loop. Just thinking about the other 3 loops makes me loopy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:03 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Sally wrote:I have only done 3 of the 6 loops as day hikes: the South Fork Loop, the Momyer/Falls Loop, and the Forsee Loop.
The Grinnell Loop should be quite attainable for a strong day hiker.

The Momyer - Vivian Loop would be a bit harder than the S Fork Loop (more gain, similar mileage), but I think very strong day hikers could do it. The Nine Peaks Variation of the Momyer - Vivian Loop would be quite a bit more challenging.

The Grand Tour Loop would be the real challenge. The Grand Tour Loop is a combination of the Forsee and S Fork Loops. That's a pretty good stretch for a day hiker. However, I know of two parties that have done all 17 of the peaks over 10,000' in the SGW in 24 hours, so I know it's doable (just not by me). :roll:

Sally wrote:Just thinking about the other 3 loops makes me loopy!
Ha! I think that happened long before my blog came along.

HJ