Page 1 of 1

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:35 pm
by drndr
Just curious. For those that have done both Skyline and Rim to Rim, south to north, what would you estimate time for R2R if one was a 7 hour Skyline hiker. If you've done both I'd like to know your avg. Skyline time and R2R time. The more answers the better. It would help with the different members of our group.

Thank you,
D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:21 pm
by Ellen
Howdy DRNDR 8)

My average Skyline time is 6 hours. I've day hiked from South to North Kaibob to the North Rim (about 24 miles) in 11 hours. I've done R2R2R (overnight at North Rim) three times.

As with Skyline, the temperature in the canyon makes a huge difference. R2R is much nicer/easier when the temperature at Phantom Ranch doesn't get over 84 degrees (2007 and 2012). Unlike Skyline, you have water sources from Phantom to the North Rim.

In 2008, I went in early October when the high at Phantom was close to 100. That experience was dreadful. I will now cancel hikes/hotel reservations if it's too hot.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

RtoRtoR

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:36 pm
by Mountaingoat
Do Skyline in about 6 hours now am (59)

Did R to R to R in 2005 in 16 hours May 16th

North rim to south rim via south Kaibab and back the same

42 miles 21000 ft gain/ loss

Temperature at bottom was 96 F (not bad)

left North Rim at 2 AM and returned at 6PM

I had what I call a an "ON" day.

Good luck to you when you do it!!

Best regards, Berne Mettenleiter aka Mountaingoat

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 am
by Jason
I don't remember my South Rim to North Rim time, but came back from North to South (via Bright Angel Trail) in about 7:30 last year.

I just went up Skyline for the first time yesterday, in 4:44 to the tram.

Rim-to-Rim was longer, but Skyline was significantly more strenuous! There aren't any sections of the Grand Canyon corridor trails that are nearly as steep as the majority of Skyline after Flat Rock.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 am
by zippetydude
Hi Jason. Good meeting you Saturday. Congrats again on a job exceedingly well done.

z

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 am
by Jason
Likewise, thanks for the company and for the generous ride back to Ramon post-hike! I hope the other 23 people I saw on Skyline yesterday made it up without too much difficulty.

-Jason

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 am
by drndr
Thanks for the input. And will keep an eye on the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 pm
by drndr
Trying some pics

Image

Somewhere on south side


Image
Getting close to North Rim.

Thanks for all the timing advice. Heat made it hard. 98 degrees at Phantom Ranch. Thought we could out run it as we hiked out but it was hot almost to the top of the North Rim. Told my shuttle driver (my son) to be waiting at the top in 11 hrs and we popped out of the other side in 10.75 hrs. Good timing and a great time though it was challenging

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 am
by HH8
drndr wrote:Thanks for all the timing advice. Heat made it hard. 98 degrees at Phantom Ranch. Thought we could out run it as we hiked out but it was hot almost to the top of the North Rim. Told my shuttle driver (my son) to be waiting at the top in 11 hrs and we popped out of the other side in 10.75 hrs. Good timing and a great time though it was challenging
Dan


Congratulations. I once took a Knee injury there and practically crawled back out by moonlight - still great memories.