Page 1 of 2
Hike in the Grand Canyon

Posted:
Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm
by Florian
Hiked the Bright Angel, Phantom Ranch, South Kaibab loop at the Grand Canyon on Friday, 5/2. Really good hike with pretty much ideal conditions. I've been to Grand Canyon a couple of times but never actually hiked to the river before. I would liked to have spent more time at the river but forecast was for 90 degrees at Phantom Ranch and i was worried about temps getting too warm on the climb out so didn't dally. Completed the hike in 7 hours 52 minutes total time. 17.6 miles, 40.2k steps, 2 tired feet.
Flickr photo album ..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/set ... 4538374904
Short YouTube video ..
http://youtu.be/ymRvwndReEU
Garmin track ..
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/491665492
My son, Kai, came with me and we spent 2 nights (Thurs and Fri) at Maswik Lodge. Kai wasn't up for the full hike so he just did a shorter hike on his own.
-Florian

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am
by drndr
The Grand Canyon is beautiful from the bottom looking up.
What time of day were you at Phantom Ranch and what temps did you end up dealing with? We are doing a S. Rim to N. Rim day hike end of May and the heat is a factor I'm keeping my eye on.
D

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 am
by zippetydude
Some nice shots there Florian. I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I've never been down in the canyon. Seems like a place I'd want to go and explore over a few days, staying down in the canyon itself and taking day-trips out to see what I can find. I'm amazed at that shot where the path goes through a tunnel, I wouldn't have thought they would do blasting just for a walkway. I saw that pic of your trusty bike. Did you get some good riding in while you were out there?
z

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm
by Florian
drndr: I started down the Bright Angel trail at 5:30a, arrived Phanton Ranch at 9:15a, was heading back up South Kaibab trail at 9:50a, and reached the rim at 1:15p. I don't know the actual temps but the forecasted high at the river was 90°. I was comfortable hiking out but glad it wasn't any later in the day.
zippetydude: I rode out to Hermit's Rest and back the day we arrived plus some loops around the campground and visitor center. The road to Hermit's Rest is nice as it's closed to private vehicles. My son also used the bike and did the same ride the day i was hiking the canyon.
I did enjoy the hike although the trail is constructed with a constant series of log "water bars" every few feet. Makes it hard to maintain a consistent hiking rhythm and pace. I assume the bars are to prevent erosion caused mostly by the mule trains.
-Florian
Re: Hike in the Grand Canyon

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 pm
by HH8
Florian wrote:Hiked the Bright Angel, Phantom Ranch, South Kaibab loop at the Grand Canyon
People come from all over the world, because the impression of its vastness is mind-boggling. Hiking it is another experience, that I would recommend everyone try once.
I still had red dust from the Tonto layer in my boots, many hikes later.
[img]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/14095361316/in/set-72157644538374904[/img]

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm
by tekewin
Very cool pictures. Thanks for posting. The GC is something special.
I am planning south rim to north rim in late June, so the beta is timely.

Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 6:28 pm
by Florian
tekewin wrote:I am planning south rim to north rim in late June, so the beta is timely.
I'll be at the north rim 6/20 and 6/21. Maybe i'll see you.
-Florian

Posted:
Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm
by tekewin
Florian,
Very possible! June 21 is my hike date, so I should roll up the north rim early evening. Best guess 6 pm. I plan on having to walk the extra miles to the north lodge since I think the shuttles stop at 4 pm.
I'll have the same yellow camelbak as seen in my profile pic. It would be cool to see you there.


Posted:
Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 am
by Ulysses
Thanks for sharing the pictures Florian. Makes me want to go back. I don't think I could ever tire of visiting the Grand Canyon. Looks like you stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge. How was that?

Posted:
Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:56 am
by tekewin