Hikers vs Wind in Falling Rock Canyon

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Hikers vs Wind in Falling Rock Canyon

Postby Ellen » Thu May 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Howdy All :)

Sister Sally, Miracle Marilyn and I headed up Falling Canyon to Ontario and Big Horn peaks yesterday. We thought we'd be protected from the wind :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

Once we climbed out of the canyon, every saddle on the ridge turned into a blasting wind tunnel. We stayed on the right side of the ridge as much as possible to avoid Mariah's teeth. Periodically the three of us would drop to the ground when the gusts sounded like an on-coming freight train.

When we reached the trail, we could see smoke from the Etiwanda fire :cry: We got knocked around on the switchbacks up to Ontario peak and found a quiet place out of the wind to eat. It was obvious we'd be battling the wind heading over to Big Horn, so we wanted to be rested.

As we started back down. Sally took several pictures of the smoke. We continued to wrestle the wind all the way over to Big Horn. Although I wore pants and long sleeves (yes, really), my legs were bloodied from being knocked into brush and rocks by the wind. On the way down to Icehouse Saddle from Big Horn, the wind was in our teeth and actually helped us stay on the feet.

Image

Image

The walk down Icehouse was restful by comparison and we could actually carry on a conversation :lol:

Sally and I drove through smoke on the 210 on our way back :cry: We learned about the location of the fire and evacuations when we had dinner at PF Changs. Very concerning, as it isn't even summer yet.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Hikers versus wind in Falling Rock Canyon

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm

I was hoping the fire would not give you any problems. I could smell it in Fontana and see the smoke

http://blog.pe.com/breaking-news/2014/0 ... evacuated/
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Sally » Fri May 02, 2014 10:04 am

That was one windy hike! Ellen was apologizing about the wind all along the way. She really needs to quit taking the blame for everything!

Since the use trail on the x-country part of the trip was on the windy side of the ridge, we made our way on the right side, which was less windy but more overgrown. Then, once we hit the trail on the Ontario Ridge it was pretty overgrown with brush. After overdressing for Skyline last weekend (remember the big snowstorm?) I wore shorts instead of long pants because I thought it was going to be hot. I got a little scratched up. Then I remembered why even Ellen wears long pants on FRC!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests