Page 1 of 2

19.3 Miles in the San Mateo Wilderness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:46 am
by greatshaitan
Finally got a chance to take a weekend and see what this place is all about. I have hiked to Tenaja Falls a half a dozen times but I have not seen the rest of this canyon. So I convinced my buddy Patrick to join me in an overnight trip.

More pictures can be found on my website.
http://drunkreddragon.com/images/adventures/SanMateoCanyon/index.html

Here is the trip we took, camping at the red pentagon in Oak Flats.
Image

Not a lot of water flowing but some. Lots of stagnate pools.
Image

The trail to Fisherman's camp was well defined and beautiful.
Image

Image

3.7 miles later we came to the split for the Blue water Trail that heads up into Oak Flats. The trail has a section that is less than a mile but gains about 1600ft, steep to say the least.
Image

Eventually you get to Oak Flats, beautiful!
Image

Found a nice spot and setup camp for the night.
Image

Ah camping with your buddies..... I need not say more....
Image

On our way out we ran into about a dozen cattle. They looked at us but were more interested in eating grass then defending their turf.
Image

Patrick schlept this 115L backpack the entire trip. The view is great from this side. This is heading down the 5.1 mile Tenaja Trail. Great views of the canyon that I didn't get a good picture of.
Image

Finally on our way back going over our original path. We took the "High Trail" back to the Tenaja Falls trailhead. Did I mention this canyon has lots of poison oak! Be warned...
Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 am
by Rck
Thanks for the TR and the Pics. Looks like you had a good outing!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm
by Andy
Thanks for the great report. I'm amazed at how green everything looks down there. That's a great remote area to explore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm
by zippetydude
I agree with the previous posts, really cool TR. I especially like that Oak Flats area. It would be a great area to spread out a blanket at night and look at the stars.

z

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:17 pm
by Ellen
Howdy Greatshaitan :)

NICE!!! Love your trip reports.

As I look at the tent picture, I think I know what happened to my missing flask of single malt Scotch :wink: JK.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:15 am
by greatshaitan
Ellen wrote:Howdy Greatshaitan :)

NICE!!! Love your trip reports.

As I look at the tent picture, I think I know what happened to my missing flask of single malt Scotch :wink: JK.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen


I didn't think you could see my flask in that picture! :shock: I believe we had Glenfiddich 15 that night.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am
by zippetydude
I can't see any flask...Ellen, were you just going from the looks on their faces?

z

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:43 am
by Sally
Great TR, greatshaitan! Back before I realized that one could hike in snow, the San Mateo Wilderness was one of my default hikes when there was too much snow in the "big" mountains.

I know what you mean about the poison oak! One time it was so bad that after trying to avoid it for a long ways I finally got impatient and just started barreling through it. Afterwards, I scrubbed with Technu and went straight to my doctor for my cortisone shot and prednisone. That stuff works miracles!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:56 am
by greatshaitan
Poison Oak :) Avoid it or else you will look like me..... Click the link to see, warning, not pretty :twisted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/10157400_10152110084243155_8980975792479893521_n.jpg

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 am
by Sally
I'm telling you, go get the shot and prednisone (it's too late for Technu, but it works great if you can use it within 24 hours.) When I get poison oak, it lasts for months if I don't nip it in the bud.