Day hike up Vivian Creek

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Day hike up Vivian Creek

Postby Dr. D » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:40 pm

We want to tackle Vivian Creek as a day hike - willing to start super early. Main questions - is it do-able (about 3 weeks ago we did Half Dome - from Valley floor and back as a day hike - sharing that just to give an index of what we "can" do). Any sense on a reasonable estimate of round trip time from trailhead? If we start too early it will be dark and it sounds like starting in the dark down there is no picnic - any suggestions?

Have small kids and can only get babysitter for day - which is the only reason we can't overnight it, but really want to try it.

Appreciate any wisdom from one and all.
Dr. D

Postby physicslord » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:16 am

If you can do Half Dome in a day, then you can do the Vivian Creek trail in a day.

Having done both, it feels to me like about the same level of exertion, although Vivian may be a little easier.

Also, if you leave at sunrise you should have plenty of time to summit and get back down before dark.
physicslord

Vivian Creek

Postby Felipe de España » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:17 am

Dr. D,
Should be no problem!
We were up last weekend with a Scout Troop(camped at High Creek Saturday night) Summit Sunday at 7:30; left H. Creek at 5:00am.
We use it to train for Whitney as a day hike. Being it's in our own backyard; so to speak. I would have to disagree with the physicslord
on one point :shock: and Doug from the Whitney Portal Store has stated
the same thing many times. "Hiking in the Sierra's is easier because of the footing!" If you think about it for a minute it makes perfect sense. Down here we don't hike on solid granite very much. We slip, slide and grind as we gain elevation. Up there, you plant and your footing is very stable once you do. To that end, I've found Vivian Trail to be much more of a kick in the pants than Whitney's Main Trail or most Sierra trails. Others might disagree- (I like Germany cars-You like American cars) Just an opinion, nothing more.
Vivian offers a jolt, right out of the car once you cross Mill Creek and make it to the Wilderness sign. Not to mention, High Creek to the Summit.
Needless to say, my advice(If the weathers nice) start early. It's a south facing trail "SUNNY SIDE up" and above the tree line, it was very cold at the top. We lasted a little over 10 minutes with the Scouts and headed back down.
Hope this helps,
Be Safe-Be Prepared.
Keep us posted.
Felipe de España
Felipe de España

Postby whitneyfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 am

Depends on your definition of a day. In the summer or the winter?

My roundtrip time for Vivian - from the parking lot to the peak and back to the parking lot is approx. 10 hrs. I am a medium speed hiker compared to most others - about 2 mph. or 30 mins per mile.

Vivian is about 18 miles round trip so figure 5 hours up 4 hrs down and an hour for lunch and various rest stops.

I usually leave around 7:30 or 8 am and get back at 6 pm.
whitneyfan

Vivian Trail condition, Saturday, 12-8-2007

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:44 pm

Vivian Trail condition, Saturday, 12-8-2007:
1-to-2 inches of fresh powder snow from Vivian Trailhead (6080') all the way to High Creek (9230'). No wind.

On the way in, streets in Forest Falls were snow-covered (but no snow was falling), and residents were brushing morning snow off their cars.

On the way out, snowfall resumed and snow level dropped. Snow line on Hwy 38 was below Old Mill Creek Road intersection. Cars were stopping on the long, straight section of Hwy 38 to put on snow chains.

I had a late start (9 a.m.) but for most of the trail I saw tracks of only one pair of hikers ahead of me. Good thing SOMEONE was ahead of me -- this was my first time on Vivian.
Rob

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics