Yellow Tape Boneheads

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Yellow Tape Boneheads

Postby dhstein313 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:44 am

Today did a long loop of the PCT around Baden Powell and Little Jimmies, Rock Camp and back to Vincent Gap........ and I am PISSED. From Baden Powell to the cut off to Hawkins Lookout there was yellow flagging tape every 20-30 ft polluting the trail. Apparently there was a trail run a few weeks ago and some BOZO(s) flagged a perfectly navigable trail and made it a disaster. Between my hiking partner and I, we filled four pockets full of this GOD AWFUL - UNNECESSARY eye sore. My guess is five+ pounds and threw them away at Islip Saddle. I understand the "need" in the snow or bad trail conditions but this was DOWN RIGHT obnoxious and unnecessary. Please clean up after yourself - LEAVE no TRACE you STUPID INCONSIDERATE FLATLANDERS/TOURONS!

I just emailed the organizer of the event a nasty note. the run happened on Sept 13 and it seems that they are requiring all runners to do 8 hrs of trail work- this is not trail work.

D
dhstein313

Postby HikeUp » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:57 am

I also saw a bunch of yellow ribbon in the trees and bushes and a white "spray paint" or chalk on the ground when I was on the Burkhart trail a few weeks ago. It is unsightly. Seems very unnecessary to put tape up when the options are straight ahead, over the edge of a 300' cliff to the right or up a vertical rock face to the left.

Hopefully the ribbon is biodegradable.
HikeUp

Postby MooseTracks » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 am

Don't know if the run continued up to Mt. Williamson or not, but we saw flags along that stretch from Islip just two weeks ago. Only the tags along the use trail near the summit were PLASTIC BAGGIES FROM TARGET! :evil: Again, how can you LOSE the trail up there???

We filled our pockets with the garbage as well.
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." -Colette Richard
MooseTracks

Postby dhstein313 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:54 pm

Got a nice email from the coordinator and he acknowledged that it was their fault and that he would do what needed to be done to solve this problem. So if you see abuse go to their website and EMAIL Whitton. Still has not explained WHY they believe they NEED them on a REAL self explanitory trail.

D
dhstein313

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics