FRC to Ontario to Bighorn 2/5/14
Last November I missed a great hike featuring stunning rime ice on Falling Rock Canyon with Ellen and Marilyn, due to a never-ending sinus infection. With snow predicted for early this week, I thought the timing was perfect for a repeat performance yesterday (Wednesday.) So Ellen, Carole, and I headed up Falling Rock Canyon.
Someone had strategically placed heart-shaped rocks in many places on the way up the canyon. An unspecified member of our party MAY have picked up a heart rock weighing approximately 10 lbs. and placed it in her pack, and carried it for the duration of the trip.
Alas, there was no rime ice to be found, but there was some of that ice-cubish stuff in the trees (the kind that can fall on your head...ouch!). There was also about 3-4" of beautiful un-trammeled snow on the ground. The big surprise came when we reached to Ontario ridge: a sea of some of the most lovely clouds I've looked down on from a mountain-top popped into view.
We made our way to Ontario Peak and had a nice snack break. Then we heeded over towards Bighorn Peak. On the saddle approaching Bighorn Pk. I though I heard a bleeting sheep. It turned out to be Marilyn calling us from up the ridge! She and Peggy had gone up Ice House Canyon and were on their way to Ontario. After pictures and hugs we continued up to Bighorn, then did a little x-country down to Ice House Saddle, and back to our cars.
The beautiful clouds more than made up for the lack of rime ice.
Hear are some pics. Carole kept grabbing my camera, and of course some of the best shots are the ones she took, including the album cover photo.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink
Someone had strategically placed heart-shaped rocks in many places on the way up the canyon. An unspecified member of our party MAY have picked up a heart rock weighing approximately 10 lbs. and placed it in her pack, and carried it for the duration of the trip.
Alas, there was no rime ice to be found, but there was some of that ice-cubish stuff in the trees (the kind that can fall on your head...ouch!). There was also about 3-4" of beautiful un-trammeled snow on the ground. The big surprise came when we reached to Ontario ridge: a sea of some of the most lovely clouds I've looked down on from a mountain-top popped into view.
We made our way to Ontario Peak and had a nice snack break. Then we heeded over towards Bighorn Peak. On the saddle approaching Bighorn Pk. I though I heard a bleeting sheep. It turned out to be Marilyn calling us from up the ridge! She and Peggy had gone up Ice House Canyon and were on their way to Ontario. After pictures and hugs we continued up to Bighorn, then did a little x-country down to Ice House Saddle, and back to our cars.
The beautiful clouds more than made up for the lack of rime ice.
Hear are some pics. Carole kept grabbing my camera, and of course some of the best shots are the ones she took, including the album cover photo.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink