Page 1 of 1

Cougar attacks man in Perris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:22 pm
by halhiker
It's not really in the wilderness where we hike but there was a cougar attack in Perris. I don't have an irrational fear of mountain lions but I know they're out there and since I hike alone probably 90% of the time it's something I occasionally consider. It's a good thing there are enough deer and Bighorn in the local mountains to satisfy their appetites. Maybe it's time I enlist some new hiking partners. Preferably slow ones who smell like Fancy Feast.

http://www.mydesert.com/viewart/2014020 ... -traps-set

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm
by Perry
Just carry tuna sandwiches, walk with a limp, never look behind or sideways, and keep crouching down to re-tie your shoelaces...you'll be fine.

On a serious note, though, I feel bad for the guy. He's lucky, and he probably fought back hard and faced the lion in a challenging way.

Pepper spray would most likely be effective. I've wondered if spraying it on a hat could act as a repellant, especially if a lion has ever experienced pepper spray in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:57 pm
by climbant
I'm hoping my diet rich in curries, peppers, and other various spicy goodness will result in only one bite and the big cat meowing in pain.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 am
by Ellen
Perry wrote:Just carry tuna sandwiches, walk with a limp, never look behind or sideways, and keep crouching down to re-tie your shoelaces...you'll be fine


Lessons on how to be cougar bait :lol: Good one Grandmaster P 8)

I'm also glad the fella is OK.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:05 pm
by physicslord
The only time I ever encountered a cougar in Riverside County was in fact very near that location. It was at Hartford Springs park. With all the human activity there I had assumed, wrongly of course, that cougars would avoid the area. It was in the middle of the afternoon too, and the animal took it's time moving back into the brush and out of my path. Needless to say I turned around and cut the hike short.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm
by climbant
Big cats have no natural predators nor is hunting allowed, their numbers are too many. I have seen many sets of fresh tracks in the higher elevations. Be loud.

Closer to home

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm
by halhiker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm
by zippetydude
Strange attack. The article stated:

"Wildlife experts found no mountain lion tracks near the site."

Suppose he was wearing Nike's? Odd that there were no tracks if the area is not paved. In any case, I find these attacks unnerving. I've seen mountain lions 6 times in my trail runs, and each time the animal has fled. Hope that keeps up!

z

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:12 pm
by jfr
Found this on another board:

Image
:D