Ladder Canyon - Mecca Hills Wilderness

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Ladder Canyon - Mecca Hills Wilderness

Postby greatshaitan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am

Always love this hike. Been trying to take my little one (5 year old) out here for quite some time now. Got out about a week ago. He managed to hike almost the entire thing and loved the ladders. If you have not done this hike, I highly recommend it. Quick, easy, and beautiful!

William stopped every few minutes to pick up rocks.
Image

Some scale
Image

Beautiful day.
Image

Ladder Canyon
Image

My son warned me not to go up the wooden one as it "Leads to death"
Image

Nick saving my son from the large rocks.
Image

And some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nikMZ97ROVo

More pictures on my website.
http://www.drunkreddragon.com/images/adventures/Laddercanyonwill/index.html
User avatar
greatshaitan
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Postby bluerail » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Very cool, looks like a fun trip and im glad to know where that wooden ladder leads to. I'll be sure to stay away.
User avatar
bluerail
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am
Location: La Quinta

Postby Florian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 pm

The first shot and then the second for scale are really impressive!

-Florian
User avatar
Florian
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:49 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby scottmac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 pm

and then, in a couple of years, your mellow hikes there turn raucous ...

Image
User avatar
scottmac
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Postby climbant » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Such a fun place to explore.
climbant
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am
Location: La Quinta

Ladder Canyon

Postby RichardK » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:56 pm

I have been thinking about this hike and have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

What condition was Painted Canyon Rd. in? Is it suitable for passenger cars or only 4x4?

Did you have any concerns about vehicle break ins at the trailhead? From http://hiking-in-ps.com/meccahills.php

"I have had several reports of cars being broken into and vandalized in the area (the last time as recent as January 2014. Cars have had their windows smashed and items stolen from the cars)."

Thank you for any information!
RichardK
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Postby climbant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Painted Canyon Road is just fine for any vehicle even though it says 4x4 only. I've taken my Accord and have even seen very small cars like a Honda Fit out there but I would exercise caution after a big rain. I haven't had any issues with break ins and haven't read about any in awhile. Weekends are very busy and I figure thieves will target the much nicer vehicles that are abundant.
climbant
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am
Location: La Quinta

Postby greatshaitan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

I drove my Honda Civic Hybrid out there and had no issues what so ever. 4x4 would only be needed during or after a rain and the roads are all washed out.

I have heard of breakins, I have never experienced one there. Just always make sure that no valuables are visible or even stored in the car.
User avatar
greatshaitan
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Re: Ladder Canyon - Mecca Hills Wilderness

Postby HH8 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

greatshaitan wrote:Always love this hike.

Image

pink, red, yellow, grey, brown, indigo hills
so many layers of colors silently eroding away.
What history hides within?
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests