Melting on Dobbs

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Melting on Dobbs

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Howdy All :)

To quote Hikin' Jim -- "It's Wed, so it must be Dobbs." :lol:

Sally, Marilyn, Heather (from San Diego) and I headed up yesterday a bit after 6 AM. Scuttlebutt has it that Alex (antagonistic gate guard) has been removed 8) I was hoping to be feel better than I did when I went up Dobbs, Jepson and San Gorgonio with Cindy over a week ago -- didn't happen.

Since it's January, I wore long pants and a lightweight Patagonia long sleeved shirt.

Image


By the time we reached Dobbs, I changed into a short sleeved shirt and wished that I'd worn shorts as did Sally. At least we didn't find any pink tape. Joined the trail and headed over to San Gorgonio. A bit over 5 hours after starting, we were lunching on the peak.

Image

Image

Image

On the descent, I tried one of the shortcuts down to High Creek. Those endless switchbacks drive me crazy.

Image

This turned out to be a mistake. When I was trying to step over deadfall, I slipped and went under it feet first. The long pants didn't offer adequate protection.

Image

This is one of those shortcuts that you have to "nail" perfectly or you wind up bushwhacking. We finally found the correct route near the bottom where it empties out near High Creek campsites. I'm now calling this a "longcut."

From High Creek down, we ran into several nasty spots of ice on the trail. In keeping with the day, I fell flat on my back twice -- even connecting with the back of my head. This did not help the headache that had started at High Creek.

Finally got back to our vehicles at 4 PM. I purchased medicinal Arrogant B**tard at the Elkhorn Café, then enjoyed wonderful Chili Verde at El Mexicanno.

Sally had worn shorts and t-shirt and didn't have a scratch. Figures :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby Sally » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Although I escaped relatively unscathed except for some superficial scratches, I did manage to get sunburned on my legs and arms. I always put sunscreen on my face, but not on legs and arms in winter unless I'm on snow. I should know better.

Whilst on the "long-cut" I thought we were surely on one of Hikin Jim's routes on his interactive map, but I couldn't figure out which one.

Thank you gals for kidnapping me and getting me out of my funk.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Re: Melting on Dobbs

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Ellen wrote:To quote Hikin' Jim -- "It's Wed, so it must be Dobbs." :lol:
For those not "in" on the inside joke, Ellen regularly does four hikes: Falling Rock Canyon, Dobbs, Skyline, and Register Ridge. I tease her that she's on a "schedule" and therefore "It's Wed, so it must be Dobbs." Of course when she does branch out then she goes and gets all bloody and I feel bad.

It's probably good that Alex was taken out of that position. He really wasn't a good "public face" for the Forest Service. People will think I'm crazy, but I feel bad for him in a way. He can't have too many options in life. I do hope he finds something more suitable.

Despite the blood, it looks like a good trip, but dang it we need some snow. That looks like June not January.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 pm

HJ, you actually used the term "branch out" right after Ellen was attacked by a tree? Then you said it sounds like she "had a good trip"? I'm surprised you didn't suggest the route be called "deep cut"! :D

Ellen, from that pic it looks like you were way too far east. The undergrowth is all on the right hand side as you head down. It took me a few tries to figure that out, but if you angle a bit farther to the west next time you'll be able to avoid picking your way through like that. Sorry about your crash.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

zippetydude wrote:HJ, you actually used the term "branch out" right after Ellen was attacked by a tree? Then you said it sounds like she "had a good trip"? I'm surprised you didn't suggest the route be called "deep cut"! :D
Zip,

I see you've gotten right to the root of the matter, but rest assured that no matter what route Ellen chooses, I'm always rooting for her.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Ellen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:
zippetydude wrote:HJ, you actually used the term "branch out" right after Ellen was attacked by a tree? Then you said it sounds like she "had a good trip"? I'm surprised you didn't suggest the route be called "deep cut"! :D
Zip,

I see you've gotten right to the root of the matter, but rest assured that no matter what route Ellen chooses, I'm always rooting for her.

HJ


Groan :lol:
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Melting on Dobbs

Postby HH8 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy All :)

Image

Miles of smiles,
Ellen


What kind of treats are you feeding that pussy?
I see it used the coupon for $10 off
HH8
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am
Location: San Diego

Postby arocknoid » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Zip and Ellen, go easy on HJ. (I sawyer groaning commentries.)

After I fell prey to Jim's smilin' click-thru link to trace my family tree, I paid $200 to find out I was the sap.

The favor was returned when he applied for a position as a cartographer in Arizona. In my letter of recommendation for him, I said that he was reliable, knowledgeable, and professional, but that he had a skewed sense of Yuma.

meretriciously mercatorially yours,
arocknoid
User avatar
arocknoid
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:03 am

...these posts leaf me no choice, I was going to be a treetotaler this year, but I'm boughing out of that. I'm heading out to get trunk.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 am

:lol: :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests