Rescue costs and Riverside County

Posted:
Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:35 pm
by Catalyst81
Backpacking Light had a recent article on rescue insurance that I found interesting. I typically carry my cell phone and a PLB. It made me wonder if anyone knows if people are typically charged for rescues on San Jacinto and in Riverside County in general. Someone on the site said generally Riverside County Sheriff won't charge County residents if the rescue wasn't due to a "stupid mistake." Does anyone know if they have a general policy on SAR costs?

Posted:
Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:03 pm
by climbant
I work as a fire fighter/paramedic in Riverside County and am unaware of any set cost for rescue. Back country search and rescue is inherently the responsibility of the Sheriffs Office but fire departments and CHP will assist as needed. That being said the Cities of Murrieta and Corona charge a "paramedic service fee", so if you are in those areas you might expect that. Agencies can go after an individual for cost recovery but it is very unusual, unless it is for fire suppression. Hope that helps.
-Anthony