Page 1 of 1

Mount Baldy in January

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 pm
by Vik
Hello,
I am a very physically fit man but inexperienced hiker. I would like to hike Mount Baldy in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if this is safe to do at this time of year and if so, do I need any special equipment?

I am considering grabbing a friend, also physically fit, and simply hiking with running/basketball shoes and a few snacks. Is this advisable or should I have special equipment like crampons and stuff?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Vik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Vik,

You can't usually get away with it this time of year, but I think you can do it this year (until it snows). Just be mentally prepared to turn back if you run into ice. Several people were killed there one year when there was bad ice.

It gets really cold later in the day, so make sure you pack a jacket and a ski cap, maybe gloves too.

HJ