Mount Baldy in January

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Mount Baldy in January

Postby Vik » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Hello,
I am a very physically fit man but inexperienced hiker. I would like to hike Mount Baldy in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if this is safe to do at this time of year and if so, do I need any special equipment?

I am considering grabbing a friend, also physically fit, and simply hiking with running/basketball shoes and a few snacks. Is this advisable or should I have special equipment like crampons and stuff?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Vik
Vik
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Vik,

You can't usually get away with it this time of year, but I think you can do it this year (until it snows). Just be mentally prepared to turn back if you run into ice. Several people were killed there one year when there was bad ice.

It gets really cold later in the day, so make sure you pack a jacket and a ski cap, maybe gloves too.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests