Falling Rock Canyon on Christmas

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Falling Rock Canyon on Christmas

Postby Ellen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:49 am

Howdy All :)

On Monday, I hiked with Cindy and Lindy up Register Ridge to Harwood, Baldy, West Baldy, back to Baldy and XC down to the Ski hut via Lilbitmo's (Patrick Moran) shortcut. It was very cold with the wind chill but an otherwise stellar day. This was the first hike where I felt good after suffering from an evil upper respiratory infection.

I went to PF Changs in Rancho Cucamonga to have lunch and also pay them for my previous meal when my wallet was stolen. They would not let me pay for either meal and the manager, bartender and other staff wished me Merry Christmas. I had to leave before I started crying with happiness. Have I said that I love the staff and service at this particular restaurant?

On Christmas day, I decided to celebrate by going up to Ontario peak via Falling Rock Canyon. I'd left my iPhone at my mom's house on Christmas eve and opted to not take a camera as I have many pictures of this hike. It was an absolutely beautiful day for the climb and I made good time to Ontario peak.

On the descent, I got a wild hair (encouraged to try new routes by Hikin' Jim) to drop down from Kelly camp to Icehouse canyon via Shortcut Ridge. This started out well -- I was definitely on a use trail heading in the right direction (north). I had to traverse left (west) to avoid descending into what I thought was Delker canyon -- it was actually Lost Creek.

I dropped into a little plateau that had numerous big horn sheep prints. I didn't remember seeing anything like this on Shortcut ridge on my Baldy map (which I carried), but was lulled into a false sense of security by this idyllic spot (I was at Sheep Flat) and kept descending.

From there, the ridge narrowed and became very steep. I also had to navigate around and over rocks. I reached an impasse -- I was on a razor edge ridge and in front of me was a pile of rocks. It would be a challenge to get to the rock pile and I feared I would cliff out. On my left side, there was a scary steep drop-off into a canyon. This was Sheep Canyon though I didn't know that at the time.

The slope on my right side wasn't as steep and it looked like I could make my way down by traversing from tree to tree and from rock to rock. My other options were to climb back up or hit the 911 on my SPOT :roll: :?
I methodically made my way down the right side, using the gluteal maneuver often.

I finally found myself in Icehouse Canyon about .3 miles east of the Chapman junction. Whew -- what a relief to be on an actual trail. I happily wished Merry Christmas to every person I encountered on the trail :D

Once at home, I checked my Baldy map and realized where I had gone wrong. Hikin' Jim posted a map with possible XC routes from Kelly camp. Turns out, I was mostly on the second red line (going left to right).

http://caltopo.com/map?id=2K1N

I felt very stupid for attempting a new route alone :oops: and am very grateful I got down safely. I will not try Shortcut ridge again until I'm with someone who knows the route.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby JayO » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Well, it wouldn't have been a true Ellen trip report without a little adventure! :shock:

AlanK and I were just behind your group at the summit of Baldy on Monday. It was just a beautiful day with enough snow to make it seem like winter!!

Happy Holidays!!!
JayO
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:14 pm
Location: San Clemente, Ca.

Postby Sally » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Whew! I'm not sure whether I am bummed that I wasn't there to give you moral support on a grand adventure, or whether I should be glad that I missed out on getting the poop scared out of me!
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Ellen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Howdy JayO :D

Rats, sorry I missed seeing you and Alan :(

Howdy Sister Sally :)

For once I'm glad you weren't with me :lol:

Hope you feel better soon!

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Falling Rock Canyon on Christmas

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Ellen wrote:On the descent, I got a wild hair (encouraged to try new routes by Hikin' Jim) to drop down from Kelly camp to Icehouse canyon via Shortcut Ridge.
Oh, sure, blame it on me why don't you? :lol: As if you needed my help to get into trouble.

This started out well -- I was definitely on a use trail heading in the right direction (north). I had to traverse left (west) to avoid descending into what I thought was Delker canyon -- it was actually Lost Creek.

I dropped into a little plateau that had numerous big horn sheep prints. I didn't remember seeing anything like this on Shortcut ridge on my Baldy map (which I carried), but was lulled into a false sense of security by this idyllic spot (I was at Sheep Flat) and kept descending.

From there, the ridge narrowed and became very steep.
This is actually a good example of how a map+compass and GPS (should) :) work better together rather than when used alone.

If one were to just use GPS alone with it's tiny little mini-screen, you could easily be taken unawares. The route down to Sheep Flat is beautiful, just what you'd want for an XC route. Then comes the final descent into the canyon. Cliff city, baby. If you however referred to your paper map, which has the "big picture", you'd spot that terrain trap in a quick minute.

On the other hand, with a map alone, you might think you were on one ridge when in fact you were on an other. That's what happened in Ellen's case. A quick check of the GPS might have shown that one was on the ridge leading to Sheep Flat -- which cliffs out -- rather than on Shortcut Ridge which while still very steep at the bottom is a bit more negotiable.

Absent a GPS one has to examine closely the shape of the terrain ("terrain association"). An astute navigator might notice that the ridge was broader and less steep than it "should" be. One might then realize that one was on the wrong ridge. A good navigator might also pull out a good compass (not the little cheapie ones, at least a baseplate compass, preferably one with adjustable declination) and shoot a terrain bearing. A terrain bearing is a general bearing down the center of the ridge (as opposed to a point bearing to a specific point, say to the top of a peak, water tank, or a radio tower). An especially astute navigator might notice that the spine of the ridge goes more to the NW where as Shortcut Ridge goes to the NNW, a very subtle difference. The combination of terrain bearing(s) and terrain association would tell a good navigator that he/she was on the wrong ridge. Very seldom in the real world will one use the "triangulation" (resection) method talked about in most compass books where you sight on two known points, figure out the angle, and plot that angle back to your position from the two points. Where the two plot lines cross is where you are. Nice work if you can get it, but good luck with that in the real world. There's this little thing called trees that tend to play hob with that technique, and good luck with that down in a deep canyon. Terrain bearings and terrain association are the practical tools of a map and compass navigator. Those two tools can be augmented by an altimeter and/or a GPS unit.


I finally found myself in Icehouse Canyon about .3 miles east of the Chapman junction. Whew -- what a relief to be on an actual trail.
Now you know why the pope kisses the ground after every plane flight. :lol:


Once at home, I checked my Baldy map and realized where I had gone wrong. Hikin' Jim posted a map with possible XC routes from Kelly camp. Turns out, I was mostly on the second red line (going left to right).
http://caltopo.com/map?id=2K1N
Hey, nice map. ;) (I'm such a map geek)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Sally wrote: I missed out on getting the poop scared out of me!
Oh, I get it. Hiking with Ellen -- It's a weight loss program! ;) :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Sally » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Now you know why the pope kisses the ground after every plane flight.


I remember Ellen literally kissing the ground after we finally found the trail after one of our Forsee Creek follies.
User avatar
Sally
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Temecula

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Howdy All :)

Headed up Falling Rock again on New Years day. Complete solitude all the way up to Ontario peak and Kelly's camp, where I met a very nice couple who were backpacking. They asked if there was way to go XC down one of the ridges or canyons :shock: back to the Icehouse trailhead so they wouldn't have to retrace their steps to Icehouse saddle.

I explained what happened when I attempted to go down Shortcut Ridge and wound up on Falling Girl Ridge on Christmas day :roll: Pulled out my map and showed them the various ridges and canyons and discussed the potential for terrain traps. They understood. Glad I happened upon them before they broke camp to head down.

Due to the ice on the trail between Ontario peak, Kelly camp and Icehouse saddle, I recommend micropikes unless one enjoys skating :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Ellen. Glad you made it out safely. Frightening how a situation can turn into a real problem in just a short time, huh? I can see why that trail looked so nice.

z
User avatar
zippetydude
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 am


Return to Outdoors-Related Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests