Page 1 of 1

Old Woman Mtn, "Willow Spring Peak," Amboy Crater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:17 pm
by eric1234
three peaks in the Mojave desert
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... -peak.html

Mt. San Jacinto seen from 100 miles away
Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 pm
by Hikin_Jim
I like that photo, Eric. It's interesting to me how much "mountain" lies to the east of the summit of San Gorgonio Mountain. Terra Incognita.

Very interesting terrain and area overall on your route(s). Thanks for the map at the end; that really ties things together.

I notice in your peak register that you ask "where's the benchmark?" Maybe that remark was just having fun, but most peaks don't have any marker on them and indeed were never visited by surveyors. A spot height next to an "X" is typically determined by photogrammatic means and is never visited. Unless there's a triangulation point, vertical control point, benchmark, or something like that marked on the map, there won't normally be any marker when you visit a peak.

Speaking of the map for that area, I notice something just south of there marked as an "Old Woman Statue". I wonder if that's the namesake formation of the range.

HJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:38 pm
by Florian
Eric, that's a great shot! I like trains and sometimes camp, on purpose, near the tracks towards the right side of your image.

-Florian