Page 1 of 2

SB Peak snow conditions above 9k'?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:37 pm
by Jill G
Going up SB Peak trail Sat 12/14. Plan to go off trail up ridge and slopes from Limber Pine Springs to peak. Looking for current info on snow conditions and snow depth (e.g. consolidated, icy, powder) on SB Peak trail/slopes above 9k'? Thanks.
This is the route we're taking: (Alex Wood's Summitpost route) http://images.summitpost.org/original/193682.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Don't have an update for you. Maybe check the San Gorgonio Board?

Alex's route is interesting. He starts up the ridge and then goes down into the Limber Pine Springs drainage. My intuition says "stay on the ridge", something like the green route. I wonder why he dipped down off the ridge?

There's really no reason to traverse all the way to the ridge that the green route climbs. I've plotted another route in red up the previous ridge. The route first follows a ridge then a shallow gully. If the gully were really drifted, one could cut across from the red route to the green route via the gold route. If one were higher up and needed to exit the gully, the ridge immediately east would be a possible route.

Just reading the map. I'll be interested to read your TR. :)

HJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 pm
by Jill G
Looking at this map: http://images.summitpost.org/original/193682.JPG the blue route looks close to what you plotted on the "green" route. It really depends on how much snow coverage we have.
I see what you meant by heading up at the red route-gold-green.
Thanks for the options.
Looking forward to it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 am
by Hikin_Jim
Jill G wrote:Looking at this map: http://images.summitpost.org/original/193682.JPG the blue route looks close to what you plotted on the "green" route.
Well, yes and no. I mean take a close look at what he's plotted:
Image

His route is in blue. Straight up the spine of the ridge is in red. That's what I meant about the "oddness" of his route. He's on the side of the hill from points SANB1 to SANB4, and then he dips down into the drainage and follows the gully from points SANB5 to SANB7. It's a bit unusual although certainly not outside the realm of reason. Possibly he was avoiding brush.

HJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:10 am
by Jill G
He did go in May of that year so probably was brush avoiding. I was hoping for enough snow to go over brush, but we will pick the "friendliest" route. It's all fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 am
by Hikin_Jim
Here's a web cam that's on the ridge that is south of Big Bear. The cam is focused on the SGW. Doesn't look like a lot of snow. I don't think there will be enough snow to really neutralize the brush.

But as you suggest, it's all fun. I look forward to your TR and (hopefully) photos. Lots of photos. But no pressure. :)

HJ

Cedar Springs pics for HJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 am
by Jill G
For HJ off this topic: Sunday Leanne and I went up Cedar Springs to Pyramid Pk and then some exploring east of the PCT. It was just beautiful. Pics here: http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and- ... d=18974282

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:49 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Oh, and you did Pine too? That's my favorite on the southern half of the Desert Divide.

Wow. Really cool photos.
Image

Image

Image

Very different from when I was along the Desert Divide over Memorial Day.

HJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:57 pm
by Jill G
We didn't get to Pine. As we reached Pyramid summit the low clouds and wind came up and it was uncomfortable cold with the wind chill.
Instead we explored a fire break we assumed was constructed for the Mountain Fire. We followed it to a plateau where we could look across and see live green trees at Cedar Spring Cg. We're hoping that means the trees and CG survived the fire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:05 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Nice.

I need to get over that way again soon.

HJ