Page 1 of 1

Baldy in the Clouds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 am
by Ellen
Howdy All :)

Headed up Register Ridge to Baldy and down Ski Hut trail with Marilyn yesterday. It was below freezing in Manker when we started around 7 AM. The predicted high for Baldy was also below freezing.

There was little snow, but it was very icy -- thank goodness for microspikes and hiking poles. Also glad it wasn't too windy.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
by towbradley
Aaaaaawsome pictures.....bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr on the weather . :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 pm
by Sally
Nice! Looks like the Great Smokey Mountains, Southern California style.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Nice stuff. So... Why always Manker? I'd have figured you'd sometimes go from the village. That's a very Ellenesque hike.

And as I've mentioned, the northern route is worthwhile, but not for those squeamish about heights.

Image

Image

HJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm
by Ellen
Howdy HJ

I want to do that route, though my intestines clench at the photo. Don't want it named "Falling girl ridge" in my honor :shock:

We went our usual route because Marilyn had just had the stomach flu and I was (and am) battling a cold.

At least the clouds gave us cool views.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:51 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Ellen wrote:We went our usual route because Marilyn had just had the stomach flu and I was (and am) battling a cold.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't feeling well so I "just" did Baldy. Right after doing Skyline. :shock: And what do you do when you're feeling well!?

Ellen wrote:I want to do that route, though my intestines clench at the photo. Don't want it named "Falling girl ridge" in my honor :shock:
Yeah, it's a bit dicey. Not a spot where you'd want to go over the side.
Image

If memeory serves me well, Robinson in his Trails of the Angeles book, calls the north approach the "real Devil's backbone". I concur.

Going up is easier, but getting a shuttle from Manker Flats back to Wrightwood would be a bit of a trick. There's a trail marked on the map as the "Dawson Peak Trail", but no one has used that trail in a long time as evidenced by this tree -- growing directly on the trail.
Image

HJ