San Gorgonio

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:23 pm

New section added (obviously cuz this post is in it). And I moved all the previous San G posts into this new section. The SGWA site helps generate revenue for them (they are a volunteer organization), so if this affects their web traffic in the future, I would be glad to add a link to their backcountry store to help support them. At the moment, I don't think it will make much difference in their web traffic, and I plan to continue visiting there since that's been a good source of information. But probably if I start new topics, I'll choose here because they don't disappear so fast and you can view an entire page of replies with one click.

A couple months ago, I was testing a feature and accidentally deleted a topic permanently, so if you're searching and can't find it, that's why. :oops:
Perry
Site Admin

Postby AlanK » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:50 am

I would encourage people to use the SGWA board for the reasons Perry listed. They have tried changing formats in the past but ended up going back -- I don't remember why. The transient nature of posts there is a real drawback. They have added pages -- there are a couple of months worth of posts arvhived these days -- but threads disappear from view pretty quickly.

I think that this new forum will become very popular.
AlanK

Vivian

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:49 am

Wes, I agree with other posts recommending caution navigating Vivian in the dark.

Last Sunday one of our hiking team decided at 6 a.m. that he was not up for our day hike (from a trailhead on the north side of SGWA); nevertheless, he urged the rest of us to continue our hike without him. With 14 hours to kill he spent part of his day picking up trash on lower Vivian Trail.

He was not familiar with Forest Falls or Vivian Trailhead and told us later that armed with a trash bag and no map he could not tell in the daylight which course Vivian Trail took in vague areas.

He was also disgusted with the trash-littered condition of Vivian Trail. All other trails we've seen in SGWA are clean. He told us that the trailhead picnic area was beyond hope, so he started up the trail and picked up gems such as a dirty diaper and a condom (near the boundary sign). He reported lots of broken glass on the lower trail.
Rob

mtbboard

Postby Felipe de España » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 pm

We'll see you on the trail.
We plan on bagging the peak Sunday a.m.
early and back out the same after spending
the night at High Creek on Saturday.
Just look for a group of Scouts learning the
ropes while, some old dudes are loving every
minute of it :D :lol:
Felipe de España

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:45 pm

The lower section gets a lot of the city crowd. I remember seeing that condom near the boundary sign, but that was too much for me to handle without those litter grabbers. I did grab an empty GU packet and an applesauce container, but I have my limits!
Perry
Site Admin

Postby mtbphoto » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:37 pm

great hike, lots of water at vivian creek, and high camp, summited just at sunset, and had a nice hike down in the dark, more later, I am sooo tired
mtbphoto

condom

Postby guest » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:58 am

Damn,
If others used those condoms, maybe we won't have to look at dirty diapers!!!!
Just carry those nasty rubbers out with you, (yah right).
I've seen more of this stuff than I care to mention in Whitewater Cyn too, it's very easy to carry stuff from a car to the streamside.

Perry, how come all the people in that beach shot are naked?

ss

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:44 pm

They're wearing special clothes that only special people can see. 8)
Perry
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics