Vivian Creek Gate Issues

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Postby KathyW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

This year I gave my $25 to the Access Fund instead. :)
KathyW

Postby Ed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am

The SGWA is very tied into the SBNF; so the "I'm just a volunteer" statement is a weak one

Thanks for the information, Kathy. This is what I was inclined to think, but you did your research and had some facts of which I was unaware, thanks for sharing them.
Ed

Update

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Howdy All :)

I am very happy to report that I have received a response to my electronic letter from Deputy Forest Supervisor John Exline regarding setting up a meeting with District Ranger Gabe Garcia, the hiking community and Forest Falls residents to discuss what can be done to meet everyone's needs.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm

That's good. Especially with that silly censorship on the other board, it's nice to see a dialog beginning so that a better resolution can be found. I'll try to attend the meeting if at all possible - thanks for your work on this Ellen!

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm

zippetydude wrote:That's good. Especially with that silly censorship on the other board, it's nice to see a dialog beginning so that a better resolution can be found. I'll try to attend the meeting if at all possible - thanks for your work on this Ellen!

z

Yes, thanks Ellen for all your hard work!

The meeting should be an interesting one. The locked gate and host only provides benefits to the Forest Service, the SGWA, and the residents of Forest Falls. What about everyone else who has had their access to the area limited?

The Forest Service and the SGWA benefit from the easy collection of fees in that area now that there is someone living in that area checking for Adventure Passes, and it doesn't limit their access because they can get a key to the gate. The residents of Forest Falls wanted the closure because it eliminates problems at night but doesn't limit their access because they don't need to use the parking area and are not required to get permits to hike into the wilderness area. Didn't they know they would be living near a busy public area when they moved into that area? Here's the summer newletter letting the folks in that area know the great news about the gate and the potential of a local being host: http://mtncare.com/bear-facts
KathyW

Postby Screerider » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Great respect to all and for all, but any long time reader/poster on the SGWA board knows their rules. While it may be considered censorship, it is applied across the board. Arguments were already starting. It did kind of liven it up a bit I must admit. It's pretty boring over there. Another trip up Vivian? Yep. Is there water at so and so? Yep. Yep, yep, yep, anyway, boring.
Why shouldn't the residents of FF have some protection? Public, private, if it was your neighbor and they were creating problems, you'd confront them or call 911.
A little more level headiness. Less calling people out by name and a it less blame placed on volunteers and residents. You do have a legitimate beef. just be straightforward about it . Be civil about it, understand their concerns as well as your problem. Their concerns are going to hold a lot more weight regardless of how you present the story. You do have a couple of logical solutions. They'd be better presented without the war cries.
Screerider

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 pm

From Page 3 of the Summer 2013 edition:
Yesterday the final inspection for the picnic are took place. Everything is complete and looks great. Make sure to go check it out while it all looks fresh and new. All the new signage is up, the new bathrooms are OPEN and ready to be used. The vaulted toilets are a great addition to the area. I hope the people that come up here to enjoy the area and the falls show a little respect for the upgrades. Several new picnic tables , bbq’s and upper parking spaces were added. Water is accessible through a spigot outside the bathrooms. A few bear proof(or not) dumpsters were added in the area. The area is ADA compliant with ramps and more parking. The added gate BEFORE the kiosk is also a great addition. Once the full time host is in place they can actually close the area down for the night. They are still looking for a host and have a local in mind for the job. This weekend will be very busy up there and several volunteers will be working the area to help the rangers. FYI...Alfredo is working on making the dumpsters MORE bear proof by adding a large chain and hook latch to each dumpster...although once again people must close and lock the dumpsters for that idea to work. Again once the host is living on site they will lock down the dumpsters nightly. No official grand opening will take place...it’s time to enjoy it with out all the hoop-la.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm really glad to hear the the USFS has responded to Ellen. I too would like to attend in person if I can.

I have some counsel for those who will hear it:
All sides have legitimate needs. A solution that balances the needs of all is the one most likely to be accepted.

Focus on the fact that opening the gate a couple of hours early for the serious hikers is unlikely to compromise public safety (as Patrick points out above) or the very nice improvements at the Big Falls Rec area/Vivian Creek Trailhead.

Diatribes against the permit system or the Adventure Pass (flawed though they may be) is probably only going to muddy the waters. Stay focused on the issue at hand: Vivian Creek Trailhead access and there will be a much greater chance of success.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks to Ellen for her constructive efforts.

Be civil about it, understand their concerns as well as your problem.

I agree that the NFS, the SGWA, and Forest Falls residents have legitimate interests. But I also think most posts about this have been civil. For example, when someone on the board has an interaction with someone from the above who shows strong signs of not respecting or taking seriously our legitimate interests as hikers, it is not being uncivil to report that in a straightforward manner.
Ed

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 am

Ed wrote: when someone on the board has an interaction with someone from the above who shows strong signs of not respecting or taking seriously our legitimate interests as hikers, it is not being uncivil to report that in a straightforward manner.
Oh, absolutely.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics